Poseiden MK VI "Recreational Rebreather"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Monitoring:
CO2, don't need it.. even if you monitored it.. if your alarm sounds off its likely too late, or so sensitive you would not use it. If you use a cartridge IMO it is not even a concern if you watch your scrubber duration, mushroom valves, and seals.

He, not import to monitor, just plan your dive with He, as the amount of He used is just to limit the PN2 on dive along with O2 in dill so a dill flush at maximum depth will not rocket your Po2 or get a counter diffusion hit if you switch to bailout.. which will never happen with the Poseidon as its recreational

N2, well a rebreather already limits that with Po2, but with tmix its not even a concern.. now you worry about the price of He and how much deco you can tolerate. At 100ft with po2 of 1.2 with a 21% dill your Pn2 is 2.8.. so you can calculate it in your head anyways.

On the posiden, really none of this is worth concern as you can't go deep enough to worry about any of this anyway, and the cartdridge (unless you damage it) should alleviate CO2 concerns. You will pre-breathe the unit to check solenoid, loop, and scrubber function anyways.. so if you are good on the surface you will be good at 100ft.

I think the main problem with recreational rebreathers is the limited recreational training and assuming the computer systems will take care of all the technical details. If you know your diluent you should be able to flush at depth and know what your Po2 should be, you should know when you are about to get a Co2 hit, you should know about gas planning and not be concerned with He, N2, solenoid failure, boom failure, and be trained on the contingencies for these scenarios.

I think the main problem with recreational rebreathers is the limited recreational training and assuming the computer systems will take care of all the technical details. If you know your diluent you should be able to flush at depth and know what your Po2 should be, you should know when you are about to get a Co2 hit, you should know about gas planning and not be concerned with He, N2, solenoid failure, boom failure, and be trained on the contingencies for these scenarios.

The problem is that there are a lot of "should"s in there, and you and I have differing opinions on the importance of monitoring various gas components.

Last edited:
If you know your diluent you should be able to flush at depth and know what your Po2 should be.

Yeah, you need to know what the P-02 of your dil should be so you can check what you are seeing from your instruments.

Just out of curiosity (not to start an argument) When do you need it inject 02 with this unit?

Any CCR needs to add o-2 as the F-02 drops (like when you are ascending). Here, you can't do it manually if something goes awry.

Adding O2 is easy. Exhale around your mouth piece and inhale. You get a blast of 21%. Granted there is not an O2 button, but it can be argued it's not needed on this unit WHEN USED AS INTENDED . When the talk goes to hypoxic dil, I agree about needing an O2 add function.

Blowing bubbles, and sucking Dil also wastes your onboard bailout gas that your BOV is attached to... I wouldn't consider that a viable solution. BUT, I'm a molecule miser

Personally, I can't accept a rebreather that I where I am unable to manually takeover and control all the gasses and their injection, and hell I dive an eCCR. I mean even in the eventuality of a battery meltdown that's still perfectly manageable, even without displays, as long as you can reliably inject gas.

The MKVI is kinda new territory. It solves a question not asked, but that said I can see myself getting trained on it just to have a more informed opinion.

Personally, I can't accept a rebreather that I where I am unable to manually takeover and control all the gasses and their injection, and hell I dive an eCCR. I mean even in the eventuality of a battery meltdown that's still perfectly manageable, even without displays, as long as you can reliably inject gas.

Shouldnt that be as long as you know your PPO?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom