Poseidon Cyklon 5000 vs Cyklon 300

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aside from the hose threads on the very early 300 1st stages, the innards of the 1st stage are a tad different between the 5000 & 300 & the anti-freeze cap band is a zip tie instead of that spiffy little latch.
As far as 2nd stages go, the 5000 uses the identical rebuild kit as the 300.
Both myself & the "Mossback" on the repair bench at the big dive shop down the road still use our beloved 300s, even considering we could be using any other reg on the market.
If you're looking at upgrading, give me a yell.

Performance wise, sounds like there is no real difference. NO?

You do get that nifty little Poseidon bronze looking medilion on the second stage now... :wink:

BIG difference is the 300 first is not balanced, quite an oddity for a diaprhagm reg, while the 5000 is. They 300 has an irritating (because it won't fit many DIN valves/manifolds) 230 bar short thread DIN connector, while the 5000 has a proper 300 bar long thread one.

Lots of little changes too.

Oxyhacker,

The 1st stage is balanced now. That's what I was wondering. So will the 300 2nd work OK with the 5000 1st?

rooske41:
Oxyhacker,

The 1st stage is balanced now. That's what I was wondering. So will the 300 2nd work OK with the 5000 1st?

It does, that's how I use it:
Cyklon 5000 first with Cyklon 300 second and Cyklon 5000 octopus.

Ciao
Itsme

oxyhacker:
BIG difference is the 300 first is not balanced, quite an oddity for a diaprhagm reg, while the 5000 is. They 300 has an irritating (because it won't fit many DIN valves/manifolds) 230 bar short thread DIN connector, while the 5000 has a proper 300 bar long thread one.

hey oxyhacker
there is a upgrade din wheel kit to change your 230 bar to 300 bar
we have a box full
let me know if you need one

Greetings to all....

My first time here for asking questions related to blowing bubbles.. (Am a freediver..)

I have 4 poseidon regs as I am moving towards underwater video production and can't seem to find an authorized servicing facility here in Oregon. Anyone know where I can get my regs serviced here in the PacNW?

TIA,

oxyhacker:

Not really an oddity considering that the Cyklon 300 roots dates back to 1957.

I had a Cyklon first stage (before the Cyklon 300 name) from the early 60's that looks similar to the 300 but it was shorter and had no high pressure ports and only the one LP port for the second stage (I still have pictures). Same not balanced internal parts.

The design of the second stage has not change much since the late 50's. I can't think of any other regulator that can claim that.

What I find odd is that the DIN fitting doesn't work with 300 bar tanks. The 300 was design to work with 300 bar pressure. Just like the 5000 stands for 5000 psi.

I just realised that this is an old thread.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom