poseidon or mares or scubapro?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

anno

Reaction score
hi there,

this is my first post and a big "hello" here from Hong Kong to all fellows in scubaboard! :)

am researching for my first set of regulator and got abit stuck about the choices. am well aware this kind of question has been asked over hundreds of times in different forums but i appreciate if anyone could feed in any comments so i could be better informed and be a wiser consumer/diver. :p

i basically started diving 1.5 years ago but am considered still a newbie as i got only 40+ dives under my belt. as i dive every week locally in Hong Kong in the summer time, i'm thinking about buying my first set of reg as the season is about to start soon. my choice of reg would likely be balanced diaphragm and i'll be using it on weekly basis. on the other hand, i'm planning to move on to more professional training (DM hopefully or nitrox maybe) starting this year so the reg would be quite frequently used. some dive trips to SE Asia region is also in the plan.

having put down all my needs, i did some online research, talked to my instructor and i basically narrowed down my choices to Poseidon Xstream, Mares V16 Proton and ScubaPro MK25/S600. My friendly instructor has strong opinion towards Poseidon although he's using a set of Mares himself as his concern is, there isn't professional maint support for Mares product and he's not confident about the maint quality of some LDS, whilst Poseidon reg is famous for its rock solid built and quality. On the other hand, i read many people are using ScubaPro MK25/S600 and they're very happy about its performance in different situations. so the problem now is, everyone is happy with their choice of regulator and it's rather hard to differentiate one brand/product from the others...could anyone please shed some lights?

thanks ! :)

anno:
hi there,

this is my first post and a big "hello" here from Hong Kong to all fellows in scubaboard! :)

am researching for my first set of regulator and got abit stuck about the choices. am well aware this kind of question has been asked over hundreds of times in different forums but i appreciate if anyone could feed in any comments so i could be better informed and be a wiser consumer/diver. :p

i basically started diving 1.5 years ago but am considered still a newbie as i got only 40+ dives under my belt. as i dive every week locally in Hong Kong in the summer time, i'm thinking about buying my first set of reg as the season is about to start soon. my choice of reg would likely be balanced diaphragm and i'll be using it on weekly basis. on the other hand, i'm planning to move on to more professional training (DM hopefully or nitrox maybe) starting this year so the reg would be quite frequently used. some dive trips to SE Asia region is also in the plan.

having put down all my needs, i did some online research, talked to my instructor and i basically narrowed down my choices to Poseidon Xstream, Mares V16 Proton and ScubaPro MK25/S600. My friendly instructor has strong opinion towards Poseidon although he's using a set of Mares himself as his concern is, there isn't professional maint support for Mares product and he's not confident about the maint quality of some LDS, whilst Poseidon reg is famous for its rock solid built and quality. On the other hand, i read many people are using ScubaPro MK25/S600 and they're very happy about its performance in different situations. so the problem now is, everyone is happy with their choice of regulator and it's rather hard to differentiate one brand/product from the others...could anyone please shed some lights?

thanks ! :)
i dive with a s400 and a g250 and i like them very good stuff and my boyfriend is diving with a mk25/s600 and he's very sastify with them. He also doing tech diving and they are excellent for this purpose.

I'd go with Scuba Pro. I have a Poseidon Cyklon 5000 and I really like it but it's harder to get serviced. My primary Reg is an Atomic which is based on the Scuba Pro design and I've used Scuba Pro regs over the years and really like them. They are very reliable and breath well.

Scott

Hi,

I dive with a Mares set-up: Proton XL, Proton Octo, Suunto in-line 3. The v32 1st stage is excellent as is the proton 2nd. The only minor criticism of the proton 2nd stage is the mouthpiece is a little soft (easy to change though) and a little pricey if that is a concern (will save your life though). In all configurations it is very dry, the small light 2nd means less jaw ache especially if swimming into a current. An ideal set up if you wasn’t to travel. Wouldn’t change mine for anything. Happy spending

the only way you're really going to find out what you like best is to try the ones you're interested in. any opinion you get on here is going to be just that - an opinion. In my opinion, i'm sure you'd be satisfied with any of those regs because i know several people who dive them and they all love their own. if you were to ask them who has the better reg all you're going to do is start up a huge argument.

however, if getting service and parts for a particular brand of reg is a problem in your area, then that is definitely something I would consider.

good luck and i'd be interested in hearing what you decide to get

You should try them out and see which one you like most.
I have a Poseidon Jetstream and a Mares Abyss, both are nice and solid regs but the mares breathes nicer.
I dove Scubapro and apeks but I liked my Mares Abyss most.
The only downside that the Abyss has is it's weight. It's a very solid piece of gear.
From the regs you named, I'd like the Poseidon most but it is the most expensive one and as you said:where to service?
If asked to choose between Mares and Scubapro, I personally would take the Mares.

thanks to all for your kind feedback and comments.
before i make the decision, i think i would dig out the local maintenance support from the official websites of the brands, and after that, i would look at the after discount price tags and see which gives me the lightest heart attack. :)

anno:
thanks to all for your kind feedback and comments.
before i make the decision, i think i would dig out the local maintenance support from the official websites of the brands, and after that, i would look at the after discount price tags and see which gives me the lightest heart attack. :)
have you dove any of these regs?

i haven't got any chance to dive with these regs and i listed them only based on research from forums and recommendation from my instructor. i understand it would be best if i would be given the chance to try these all out before making the purchase decision but it looks unlikely that i would be offered the chance...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom