Possibility of finger joint hit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i agree with doc vik to some degree .:lotsalove:

however never be afraid to call and consult dan for even the smallest diver medical quiery . that is what they are there for .

id also agree with the doc that everyone first responce is call dan . if a diver has an itch in there bum after a dive they ring dan .:shakehead:

Im a paramedic and work for the most part as a diver with a medical back up for diver teams . iv seen about 5 people bend and when somebody bends its straight to the chamber . dame the expense .

however never be afraid to call and consult dan for even the smallest diver medical quiery . that is what they are there for .

id also agree with the doc that everyone first responce is call dan . if a diver has an itch in there bum after a dive they ring dan.(sic)

Hi Steve,

Let me get this straight. I'm to call DAN even with the most insignificant and long past the last dive complaint, except if it's an itch in my bum?

All kidding aside, which is it? Keeping in mind that DAN Medical Services are busy and operate on a limited budget, do I call with every and any tiny twinge or only when it makes sense?

Regards,

DocVikingo

Hello Readers

This topic has arisen from time to time over the several years that this Forum as been in existence. While the admonition to “call DAN” is given, some qualifiers are in order.

Gas Loads

Joint pain DCS is not possible without sufficient gas loads. Being at 40 fsw for 30 minutes simply will not do it. [However, neurological DCS from bubbles entering the arterial circulation is not depth restricted. These are generally breath-holding mishaps.] If you do not have significant nitrogen loading, as indicated by an approach to the NDLs, you probably do not have DCS.

Tight straps and muscle soreness are often the culprits.

Time Reference

It is not uncommon to finding posting with, e.g., “I have a sore elbow. This appeared about 1 week following my last dive.” Dissolved nitrogen and residual tissue bubbles simply do not persist for such durations. One should search for a different cause.

Non Divers :confused:

You can have all types of maladies that have nothing to do with diving. As I have said on numerous occasions, many people experience aches, pains, and weakness that have never gone diving in their life. While it is always good to be suspicious following a dive, do remember that a trip to the physician might be in order if gas loading is questionable.

Many postings appear here that are suspiciously similar to non-diving neurological problems; the individual is counseled to visit a physician for further study.

Dr Deco :doctor:

Hi Dr Deco,

Thanks for presenting a reasoned and sensible approach to the reflexive, "Call DAN."

Regards,

DocVikingo

sorry guys ,
iv been away for a week .
if in doubt consult a senior diver who actually knows somthing about dcs . depth duration hydration and tiredness all taken into account .
Accent rate and gas . the computer against tables . warm against cold and any other vaso constriction method that is possible .
with tables always remember that 2 - 3 % of divers actually bend within the tables . with all this in mind the senior diver can make an informed choice wheither or not to call dan .

If theres ever a shadow of a doubt . Call dan .

I understand that they have call centers that at peek times can be stretched . but its better to think of ones self if all it take is a word off DANto set your mind at ease .

have you ever bent or spent time in a chamber ? i have spent time in a chamber . and in ireland we have the old style . the tube type very unconfortable .not nice

I had a similar experience with my index finger, the first joint. I was diving in Belize and after 2 days of diving (2 tanks/day), with a night dive on the second day. I experienced joint swelling the next morning. The only thing that I can think of was that I was carrying a light with that hand which would have kept my finger bent. Now, 6 months later it isn't any better. I called DAN right away, but they said it was highly unlikely DCS. I am about ready to have a cortizon injection to see if I can bend the finger totally again.

I had a similar experience with my index finger, the first joint. I was diving in Belize and after 2 days of diving (2 tanks/day), with a night dive on the second day. I experienced joint swelling the next morning. The only thing that I can think of was that I was carrying a light with that hand which would have kept my finger bent. Now, 6 months later it isn't any better. I called DAN right away, but they said it was highly unlikely DCS. I am about ready to have a cortizon injection to see if I can bend the finger totally again.

I noticed after I turned 30 that I can now damage a joint and it'll hurt for 6+ months sometimes. I got shoulder pain from wiping on a snowboard hard a few years ago that took 6+ months to stop hurting. This summer I spent a week up in canada at our cabin using a chainsaw to chop down and limb trees and an excavator to dig out behind the cabin and went home with a knuckle that still hurts over a month later (no idea how i did it).

I've got one joint in my little finger that I injured about 2 years ago- sometimes when I lift something heavy it still gets tweaked out of position again.

Getting older sucks.

Hello Readers:

Who knows what it might be. People who never dive have joint pains. In fact, people who never dive have had all kinds of pains - for tens of thousands of years.:depressed:

Hope you all get better! :crafty:

Dr Deco :doctor:

Back
Top Bottom