Possible Cause Of Free Flow At Twenty Feet.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oldandpokey

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
good morning, i have a newly serviced regulator that started free flowing at a depth of twenty feet on two consecutive dives. both primary and safe second were affected. these were full blown and could not be stopped at depth. just wondering what could be some causes. thanks for your time in advance.

If it could not be stopped, then it's probably in the first stage. I'm guessing that this was the first dive for this reg set up after service. Seats will actually 'seat in' a bit after service. I pop the first stage regulators 40/50 times each to accomplish this. Then I re-adjust the regs... but that may not be enough. I often re-check and adjust as neccesary after a dive or two.

I figured as much. these regs have a couple dozen pool dives on them. just looking for thoughts. im thinking its time to find a service seminar and start taking care of myself. if there not broke dont let someone fix them!!!!

You can start your self servicing journey by getting an intermediate pressure gauge that will connect to a standard low pressure inflator hose. You don't have an octo/inflator combo like the air2, do you?

When you get the IP gauge, snap it on the LP hose and pressurize the regulator. See what the IP gauge reads and most importantly, see if it starts creeping up. If so, there's your problem. Time to rebuild the 1st stage and replace the seat. You might not be ready to do that yourself but at least you'll know what's wrong.

BTW, if both your primary and alternate 2nd stage started violently free-flowing at the same time, it's no adjustment or seat break in; something's really wrong and you should not dive with the regulator until it's fixed. And instead of starting with a 'service seminar' get the Vance Harlow book on regulator service, read it, ask lots of questions here, and you'll get very solid advice from most of the responders. I don't know if there are actual courses where you can learn to service regulators other than the manufacturers' seminars that are exclusively for dealers' employees.

+1 on what halocline said.
A very low grade 'hiss', low grade leak, from the main 2nd stage is not terribly uncommon after a reg rebuild. The freshly tuned seat on the 2nd takes a 'set' (groove in the seat) while sitting > now air can leak around it. It is usually fine when you first get it back since it has not taken the set yet.
That's easy to fix and I've done a number of them in the field for upset divers that just had their reg serviced.

It sounds like you have something far more serious in the 1st stage going on. Do get an intermediate pressure gauge. Even if you never do servicing it can rapidly distinguish between 1st and 2nd stage issues.

Learning to service is it's own thing. About the only reg a non-shop technician can learn on is Hog, and easily get parts for. There are ways around that but you have to be pretty motivated and have decent 'hands on' skills.

Last edited:
Am I correct in assuming you are diving a balanced diaphragm 1st?

Any bets on a part left out?
yes, it is a balanced diaphram. can you eloborate on the part left out? inquiring minds would like to know..

Last edited:
This does not sound like a simple adjustment problem. It seem to me that ambient pressure is not being correctly compensated for. I am not very familiar with diaphragm 1sts, so it is not possible for me to speculate further on what part might he damaged, missing, or incorrectly installed (but I am thinking one of the springs or other devives involved in transmitting ambient pressure - maybe an incorrect diaphramg). I would start byvtakingbit back to the service provider.

This does not sound like a simple adjustment problem. It seem to me that ambient pressure is not being correctly compensated for. I am not very familiar with diaphragm 1sts, so it is not possible for me to speculate further on what part might he damaged, missing, or incorrectly installed (but I am thinking one of the springs or other devives involved in transmitting ambient pressure - maybe an incorrect diaphramg). I would start byvtakingbit back to the service provider.
already gone. i'm sure it will be made right. never had an issue before. i'm just curious. ive never had a diaphram first stage apart.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom