Possible southern reef closure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This reminds me of the time Coca Cola presented New Coke, discontinued the old product, and people went ballistic.

It was such an utter failure by a huge company that should have known better, some claimed it was a giant production to simply stir up the market, and still win when they brought back the old soft drink. I think it was a mass case of the Peters Principal.

The old Cola Wars.

Is the meeting at 1 or noon??

First article said 1, this latest one said noon..

It seems to me that the reefs in Cozumel are under tremendous pressure, This is due to SCTLD, coral bleaching from increased ocean temperatures and other stressors, contamination from the land due to sewage and runoff, and perhaps due to diving pressure. Unless the conditions are made more favorable, our favorite reefs may be lost. Detailed, well collected, scientific information is in our best interest. If that is an inconvenience for divers, so be it.

What is the option, let it go unchecked?
Good question. If the alternatives are to do something ineffectual or to do nothing, which do you do?

We are scheduled to be on the island for my 8th time in November, and was looking forward to my wife diving it for the first time. The southern walls, and specifically Palancar caves, are some of my favorite dive sites of all time, and I will be really disappointed if they're closed.

This seems like a knee jerk reaction that does very little to address any of the reasons they laid out, and instead will just punish divers. Instead, they need to look into the beach club sewage, lobby for additional funding for park rangers, etc.

ANOAAT has been busy since we heard the news two days ago and we are preparing a proposal with alternative solutions to present to the marine park on Monday. Stay tuned.

This sounds like the dive community was not involved in making the sausage. Interesting if that is factual.

I also read a lot of comments that continue the unproven claims of climate change, rising sea temperatures, etc.

I see on a local website: "Water temp: 81F." That sounds about normal for this time of year.

We can justify any action as long as even one life is saved
Like lowering highway speed limits in Texas? Good luck on that. 20 mph is safe.

Rightfully so if it really does any of those things.

That's a big IF and even if I would not agree. Every action has a cost and the benefit has to be weighed relative top the cost. If people become fatigued with making sacrifices that seem to have little or no effect, some day an appeal that actually does make a difference may fall upon deaf ears.

ANOAAT has been busy since we heard the news two days ago and we are preparing a proposal with alternative solutions to present to the marine park on Monday. Stay tuned.

A suggestion I have would be to ban sunscreens that are not reef-safe. Dive boats could carry reef-safe sunscreen to offer or sell to guests.

Back
Top Bottom