Possibly moving to Puerto Rico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, just three years after meeting him...Thanks for the info. He lived his dream!

Doesn't change the fact that as a life choice, Bill & Ingrid chose PR over Maine.

Mark - very bad news!

Good thing I poked around the site before sending an email. Could have made for a very awkward/uncomfortable response.

Grunzter, thanks for the detective work. While I never knew the gentleman, it sounds like he had a big heart for the island. My condolences.

I've heard a lot of good things about Panama. Retirement and business friendly. No hurricanes. Pacific and Caribbean spearfishing.....why am I in Belize?
Yeah, I think Central America it is. Caribbean weather, with much lower cost of living, and no hurricanes. Right now my list is Belize, Honduras, Guatemala, and Panama...in no particular order.

I have a new dock neighbor who's been wintering in Belize for the last 9 years, and feeds into my head how amazing it is there, every time I see him. I've also heard good things about Panama lately.

Mr. McAfee (original founder of software company of same name) would differ on opinion about Belize.

Other than him, I've read posts by people on SB that live in Belize.

Consider the local Gov't, permits, etc. Of your list of 4 countries, Belize would be the better choice.

Another plus - you can drive to Tulum, Mexico, and go up the coast to PDC & Cozumel.
Or drive in the other direction...IOW you're not stuck on an island.

Of course, but I can't imagine the permits being any more of a PITA than what I've had to deal with in Miami.

---------- Post Merged at 09:30 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:15 AM ----------

Oops! Add Costa Rica to that list. And Belize is starting to drop on my list. I've heard a few times recently that it's very corrupt there.

Mr. McAfee (original founder of software company of same name) would differ on opinion about Belize.

The same thing happened to me. 5 am, banging on my door and the cops searched my house for drugs and guns. Not just my house but the whole farm compound. If they find even one round of ammunition in your house....never mind a fire arm, you go straight to Hattieville prison until you get bail for a trial. This administration has turned this peaceful place into a bit of a police state.

Dean Barrow is a moron with an axe to grind and is ruining Belize's image as an investment haven having had the government take over the power and phone companies.
But he won't be in power forever. Thank God.

And here I was considering doing an IT company in Belize (like pro-website hosting w/o regulators & cheap bandwidth).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom