Post Ankle Surgery Diving, Braces, Fins, ect.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not sure mine will ever be the same, but it has little effect on my diving. I did it in 2008

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

I have had 7 ankle surgeries during my dive career. Often I've used a brace while diving. It was a lace up with different stiffness inserts that went along the inside, and relatively thin. I was able to wear it under my booties and get into open heel fins. Also, if you are unable to find a workable brace nothing really beats a good tape job to keep things locked in place. I find frog kicking, for me, is by far the least ankle-straining. I suspect you'll find a kicking style that should be able to reduce the tenderness you are likely to feel post dive.

Good luck!

I had surgery on 4/6 for a broken fibula and torn deltiod ligament. I am non weight bearing for 6 weeks (5/18). Headed to Cozumel 5/23 and the doctor has told me from the beginning I should be able to scuba. I'm going to ask him about braces today that I can wear during scuba and in and out of the pool at the resort, but I am not sure he is going to have alot of experience with it. Anyone have a similiar experience, diving and pool lounging with an unstable ankle. A medical brace company recommended the Aircast A60 to me. I am not sure if I will be able to get it inside my full foot fin, so I may also be looking at buying some open foot fins and booties.

On the bright side, the diving conditions should be ripe. I am headed to aura cozumel and I hear their onsite dive shop does mostly nearby 1 tank dives, then you do any short intervals back at the resort. I do need to contact them and ask about donning gear in the water so I am not putting extra pressure on my ankle.

You need to talk to your ortho doctor about this. Depending upon the hardware (syndesmotic screw? plate? etc) and degree of healing, your doctor may prescribe a brace or none. The A60 provides minimal support; you may need the Air-Sport or even the Air-Stirrup, or even a Cam-walker. Talk to your doctor.

Generally, swimming and diving will actually provide good rehab. The up-down movement is excellent for ankle PT; and there is only mild "in - out" (inversion/eversion) stress. Good for increasing range of motion and strengthening. My actual only real concern would be a Giant Stride entry applying somewhat uncontrolled stress on the ankle. I'd suggest having crew assist you to the entry point (to limit weight directly on the ankle) and do back roll entry. Final caveots: (1) if it hurts, don't do it; (2) talk to your doctor.

Appreciate all the replies, managed to get a prescription for the Active Ankle Power Lacer. I got it home and sure enough, I can just get it on under my full foot fin, which is a split fin, so hopefully I am in good shape. Only problem is the doctor doesn't want me walking in anything but the boot, so I am going to have to lug that thing all over the resort. Luckily the other brace seems compact enough I won't have to switch to enter the water, I can just keep it on under my boot.

Next step, contact the dive shop. Out of curiosity, you guys that have had ankle surgery, how long after surgery did you begin PT?

---------- Post added May 4th, 2012 at 08:59 AM ----------

You need to talk to your ortho doctor about this. Depending upon the hardware (syndesmotic screw? plate? etc) and degree of healing, your doctor may prescribe a brace or none. The A60 provides minimal support; you may need the Air-Sport or even the Air-Stirrup, or even a Cam-walker. Talk to your doctor.

Generally, swimming and diving will actually provide good rehab. The up-down movement is excellent for ankle PT; and there is only mild "in - out" (inversion/eversion) stress. Good for increasing range of motion and strengthening. My actual only real concern would be a Giant Stride entry applying somewhat uncontrolled stress on the ankle. I'd suggest having crew assist you to the entry point (to limit weight directly on the ankle) and do back roll entry. Final caveots: (1) if it hurts, don't do it; (2) talk to your doctor.

2 Sydes-whatever screws, no plate. I plan to ask to do back rolls or strides without my gear don in the water. He had orginally prescribed an air-stirrup for water activities, but the prosthetics department had me try out a few options and then they talked the doc into a lace up (I just don't get to walk in it)

Your timeline is agressive. Unless maybe you're 12 and heal fast. No weight on leg and then diving a week later? Let me guess... you're a rugby player.

Sent from my SPH-P100 using Tapatalk 2

don joy braces are good, i use one for diving

First of all keep in mind all breaks are different and everones pain is different. I was very fortunate when I broke my anle several years ago. I broke it on a Thursday morning and was in the water with my DM students on Saturday morning ( it was good training for them).

Regardless of which fin you settle on, I would suggest getting into a pool and doing some laps before you are out in the open water. The good news is Cozumel is practically all drift diving.

Good luck and safe dives
Trtldvr

I plan to ask to do back rolls or strides without my gear don in the water.
The good news is Cozumel is practically all drift diving.
The bad news is it may not be possible to don your gear while drifting away from the boat - esp. when most of the divers will be submerging asap to stay together. You might want to ask about getting a private DM to accompany you the first couple of times if that's your plan.

thought about renting a scooter?

The bad news is it may not be possible to don your gear while drifting away from the boat - esp. when most of the divers will be submerging asap to stay together. You might want to ask about getting a private DM to accompany you the first couple of times if that's your plan.

Good point, I should stick to backrolls.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom