Post Ankle Surgery Diving, Braces, Fins, ect.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr.Bigg

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I had surgery on 4/6 for a broken fibula and torn deltiod ligament. I am non weight bearing for 6 weeks (5/18). Headed to Cozumel 5/23 and the doctor has told me from the beginning I should be able to scuba. I'm going to ask him about braces today that I can wear during scuba and in and out of the pool at the resort, but I am not sure he is going to have alot of experience with it. Anyone have a similiar experience, diving and pool lounging with an unstable ankle. A medical brace company recommended the Aircast A60 to me. I am not sure if I will be able to get it inside my full foot fin, so I may also be looking at buying some open foot fins and booties.

On the bright side, the diving conditions should be ripe. I am headed to aura cozumel and I hear their onsite dive shop does mostly nearby 1 tank dives, then you do any short intervals back at the resort. I do need to contact them and ask about donning gear in the water so I am not putting extra pressure on my ankle.

I cannot help you with the brace but I would suggest split fins as they will put less stress on your leg. I have bad knees and they have been a big help. Donning equipment in the water should not be a problem but climbing up the ladder at the end could be a problem.

If you can get your hands on some Force fins that would be even better. Some models of split fins can still put strain on your calf.
If going with splits I think you may want to look for a pair that are very flexible so they don't give back resistance when your kicking.

For your dive op, you should definitely give them at least a days notice about your condition and any special accommodations you might need.

My wife crushed her ankle, when she fell from a ladder. She landed standing up. Doc told us afterwards he is surprised she can even walk with it. After trying several fins, the Apollo split fins are just the ticket. You should consider open fin with a spring strap. As for getting out of the water, she takes her equipment off in the water and lets her dive buddy (that would be me) get on the boat and lift it out of the water while she is hanging onto the ladder. Works well.

My husband broke his fibula and shore dove in Curacao a couple months later with minimal problems. I did drag his gear into the water so he could put it on there.

I wouldn't bother with split fins. He stated that the resistance in the act of finning (with solid, heavy jet fins) actually made his stiff post-op ankle feel much better.

Bigg, I have a very similar injury. I broke the my fib and have a bunch of screws and a plate holding it together.
I got my foot stuck in some rocks making entry with doubles on, fell over and the fib broke in more than one place. OUCH.

Do the PT, don't shortcut it. Push yourself. Follow docs orders by keeping it elevated and do not put weight on it until he says to do so.

Stretch exercises work well for me. I use full Jet fins and now have no trouble underwater whatsoever. I do limp now and again but it's not been an issue for diving, with the only exception is that I dive double 130s and extra weight makes that leg feel weaker. It's a very heavy load. I'll notice some soreness in the broken leg the next day. I can also tell that the broken leg isn't as strong as it once was. My fault for not doing the PT as instructed. But there isn't much affect on diving, and I dive COLD water.

Might I also suggest trying different fin kicks to see what's best - either flutter, frog or normal, full blade style kicks.

You should be doing all of them.

Primarily I do the frog, but depending on the situation I will employ all kicks.

If the doc did his job correctly, and he does the PT fin kicks should not be an issue whatsoever. None whatsoever when he's healed.

Might I also suggest trying different fin kicks to see what's best - either flutter, frog or normal, full blade style kicks.

I broke my ankle in mid November 2011 and have pins and a plate in it. I was walking on crutches within about a week of the surgery and had full weight on it by about Christmas or New Years. I tried diving a few times in January but it hurt and I had a hard time getting my bootie onto my foot which was still very stiff, swollen and tender. I never thought of how much you use your ankles during diving for stabilization, turning etc. By mid February, I was better and by mid-March diving was dandy. So 3-4 months. I'm now six months post surgery and it is still somewhat swollen (surgeon said it could take as much as a year to return to normal) but can now run up and down stairs. I find if I am on my feet for several hours it gets sore. Broken ankles are worse than broken arms. I have done both...was diagnosed with osteoporosis recently.

I forgot to mention, it took me at least a year, maybe more before it started to feel normal. I was out of the water for a year, too.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom