Post-Conception Disaster: what you learned & will change

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In regard to charging, also not overloading circuits and having multiple devices charging on piggy backed multiple extension cords.
I doubt that the circuit was overloaded. Most 110v circuits are rated for at least 20a at 10v(2200w). Most lithium chargers output 2a (more often 1a but we'll go with 2a) at about 4.2v (8.4w). That circuit could likely have had 260 chargers connected without overloading. It just looks ugly because physically connecting many devices gets hairy looking.

There was a lot they did wrong with the charging setup, but I highly doubt they actually overloaded that circuit. One of those cells likely had a thermal runaway and caught the nearby flammable materials on fire. It could have happened if only one cell was on charge at the time.

They need a proper charging box, which should have some exhaust ventilation directly to the outside.

They could provide a couple nice multi-cell chargers for standard cells inside the box (like a 32 cell 18650 charger). There's still going to be some ugliness because camera and scooter manufacturers love their proprietary batteries...

Are all your batteries genuine OEM?
That there is meaningless marketing jargon. I should start a battery company and call it OEM... I'll make a MILLION DOLLARS!

There was a lot they did wrong with the charging setup, but I highly doubt they actually overloaded that circuit. One of those cells likely had a thermal runaway and caught the nearby flammable materials on fire. It could have happened if only one cell was on charge at the time.

The surge protectors in power strips are also known to cause fires with marine power systems. Cruise ships confiscate power strips, only allowing special non-surge protecting ones on board.

There's still going to be some ugliness because camera and scooter manufacturers love their proprietary batteries...

I feel safer with most of the proprietary batteries from larger established companies, they have a lot more liability concerns than random 18850s from Amazon third parties.

The surge protectors in power strips are also known to cause fires with marine power systems. Cruise ships confiscate power strips, only allowing special non-surge protecting ones on board.
Seems odd, I can only surmise that it must have something to do with how grounding works (or doesn't?) on a boat since surge protectors typically shunt surge or spike voltage to ground. That might be some interesting reading for me.

Cheap power strips tend to not bother including the surge suppressing components and are just basically an extension of a power outlet. I guess whoever does the confiscating on a cruise ship can't be expected to tell the difference so they treat 'em all the same.

Edit: That was a short research trip. Apparently AC "ground" on a boat is NC unless the boat is connected to shore power. Yikes. I'm kind of surprised there aren't more boat fires. There must be something in place to help mitigate it...

Seems odd, I can only surmise that it must have something to do with how grounding works (or doesn't?) on a boat since surge protectors typically shunt surge or spike voltage to ground. That might be some interesting reading for me.

Cheap power strips tend to not bother including the surge suppressing components and are just basically an extension of a power outlet. I guess whoever does the confiscating on a cruise ship can't be expected to tell the difference so they treat 'em all the same.

There are cruise "safe" power strips that don't have the surge suppressing feature. But most of the ones I've seen aren't really power strips are instead are like the older outlet splitters, but with some USB outlets thrown in.

Chartering a six pack for a day isn't the same as $2k per person with the boat containing sometimes 20 guests, often based in countries with lower wages. And $2k is the starting price in more budget areas like the Red Sea right now, the prices go much much higher. A Galapagos trip is $7k per person.

That's not a 6 pack, that's a private charter. You're talking peanuts.

It all comes down to how much you are willing to pay. Many safety features have had to be mandated - like seatbelts in cars - because people think it won't happen to them and prefer not to spend the money.

That's not a 6 pack, that's a private charter. You're talking peanuts.

Apples to oranges. "You are small pennies because you are talking about a single berth vs a private charter." Put it into numbers tell me what you consider to be real money and not peanuts.

Apples to oranges. "You are small pennies because you are talking about a single berth vs a private charter." Put it into numbers tell me what you consider to be real money and not peanuts.

You still haven't answered if you know what a head boat is, and do you consider a head boat "luxury"?

I agree in general, and have taken comfort in that, but this cellphone of mine in the photo below was an exception....View attachment 620526
I like the picture. I was at MSP airport a few years ago in one of the sections where they had installed iPads as game stations and remote ordering consoles in a seating area. About half the devices were non functional as the battery had swelled and popped the screen off the back. My wife’s Apple Watch (first gen) had the face pop off about two years after I gave it to her. It was replaced under warranty with the same model and we’re waiting for it to go the same way.

Back
Top Bottom