Post-diving thirst

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
Martha A Page

Martha A Page

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Today is day 4 after a 3 day dive trip to Cozumel, and I am excessively thirsty. I drank lots of water before, during, and after my dives, but after flying home I can't seem to get myself hydrated. I'm a new diver; is this a common problem?

Compressed air is very dry. It just sucks the moisture out of your mouth. I have a horrid cotton mouth regardless of how well hydrated I am.

Eat plenty of fruit: watermelon, pineapple, drink coconut juice.

I heard that enema with cactus juice would help you too, try it and let us know what it does for you.

I like to mix a pitcher packet of Lemonade Crystal Light & a few scoops Kappi Strawberry Lemonade electrolytes the day before, day of and if any liquid is left over it makes a tasty mixer for a after dive margarita.

but after flying home I can't seem to get myself hydrated.
How long since your last dive?

Being thirsty after a dive is pretty typical, but I don't think the feeling of "can't get hydrated" is expected.

Today is day 4 after a 3 day dive trip to Cozumel, and I am excessively thirsty. I drank lots of water before, during, and after my dives, but after flying home I can't seem to get myself hydrated. I'm a new diver; is this a common problem?
Hi @Martha A Page ,

In addition to what @Marie13 said, diving leads to diuresis. The shift in blood distribution that's caused by the relative loss of gravity leads to more blood in the torso; your kidneys think there's too much fluid, so to speak, and increase urine production.

Best regards,
DDM

Your post states that you cannot get yourself re-hydrated AFTER flying home and AFTER being home for 4 days following a 3 day trip.. The diving and the plane trip itself can both contribute to temporary dehydration,.....but once back home for four days you should have quickly and fully quickly recovered. I'd call my doctor to make sure it's not something else that needs attention.

Check your blood sugars -- type 2 diabetes is a thing and often shows up after letting go for a week.

What is "lots of water"? You post doesn't specify.

Most people are chronically dehydrated BEFORE diving. Add the dried, filtered air and you become even more dehydrated after diving. Dry scuba air, sun and physical exertion will suck the moisture right out of your body. Add a tropical location like Cozumel and likely drinks / dancing / sun / heat / late nights, it is not a mystery why someone becomes dehydrated.

My personal vacation dive plan is to bring a Nalgene bottle with me so I can track how much water I drink in a day. I wake up, drink 32oz to start the morning before I get on the boat. I bring my Nalgene with me filled up with 32oz of additional water. Attach a carabiner to the top of the nalgene so you can clip it off somewhere close to your gear so it is close by. After my first dive, I drink the remaining 32oz of water before my second dive and then another 32 oz after my second dive on the boat ride back. You will probably have to pee every five seconds under this plan but the ocean doesn't seem to mind :)

After that, I jump in the pool to "desalinate" order between one to ten of those frozen drinks with the umbrella and float around the pool until dinner time. I keep my nalgene bottle close by and drink another 32-64oz of water while relaxing in the pool all afternoon in between frozen drinks.

I drink about 120oz of water on a normal day (10 glasses worth). I am guessing I jack this up to 160-180oz on a tropical dive vacation since there are so many factors working against me.

How many glasses of water did you drink during the day?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom