Post-production - colour correction? (GoPro HD Hero2)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I saw this video on YouTube and it does an excellent job of explaining how to correct color of GoPro Hero 2 in Adobe After Effects. The principles of this method will work in any editor.

Steps (Taken from YouTube post)

1. Photo Filter: Magenta 25%-60% depending on depth
2. Curves: Increase contrast and darken exposure
3. (Optional) Channel Mixer: Red-Green between 80 and 100, Red-Blue between -80 and -100
4. (Optional) Exposure: Gamma Correction between 0.6 and 0.9
5. Vibrance: Vibrance between 20 and 40, Saturation between 5 to 20
6. (Optional) Level: Fine tune colors
7. Sharpen: less than 20 or Unsharp Mask 100%

[video=youtube_share;UGthOhEMSYs]http://youtu.be/UGthOhEMSYs[/video]

I used Adobe Affter Effects to color correct this footage. All shot with GoPro HD with Blurfix and UrPro CY filter

[video=youtube;HxHPu9P2-Oc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxHPu9P2-Oc[/video]

GoPro HD2 + URPro Cyan click on filter and white balance eye dropper in PowerDirector 10 64bit on white reference, section of white plastic bottle earlier in segment (you can see it dangeling at the end of the clip)

[video=youtube_share;dpc_yIkRJuQ]http://youtu.be/dpc_yIkRJuQ[/video]

http://youtu.be/dpc_yIkRJuQ

Last edited:
A slate would still be very helpful because it gives you clear targets when you get to post. Ie if you shot something underwater which had a clear white and black and perhaps a neutral grey, then is makes it so much easier to colour correct the footage in post. You can click on the white slate in your video with an eyedropper and it will tell your program that this is what white should look like...not the bluish white in my video. I haven't tried it underwater yet, but often use it for colour critical photography such as photographing art.

You just need to put your slat in front of the video every now and then when the depth/light changes

Thanks for the tip & explanation...
Will give this a go on my next trip..

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk

I used Adobe Affter Effects to color correct this footage. All shot with GoPro HD with Blurfix and UrPro CY filter

[video=youtube;HxHPu9P2-Oc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxHPu9P2-Oc[/video]

Cool video! I have to say, though, that the color correction is not very good (I'm saying this in a purely constructive way). Take a look at the screen grab I took from your video off of YouTube (2nd pic), and the one I further corrected in Vegas Pro (1st pic, from the screen grab still). This was about 30 seconds of work in Vegas. Could be even better if I had 1) Reference colors for Black, White, and Neutral Grey (see posts above about using slates) and 2) A little more effort/time put into it on my part. Your video has a really apparent green cast to it still. I just did this by eye by using the sand as a reference (since I can remember what the sand looks like in Florida).

The right filter does get the colors closer before having to color correct, too, but can add some other complexity like having a different effect in shallow water vs. deep, but you have to adjust for that anyway. The most important thing is to have several reference points (when changing depth, light quality, etc.) by shooting reference colors in your video periodically. I'm not sure what your colors looked like before After Effects, but having used that CY filter myself, it almost looks like the After Effects settings you used made it worse. I think maybe the raw footage may have had less green than this video...but without seeing it, of course, I can't be sure. Florida does seem to have more green than further south in the Caribbean.

I'm sure that you can do what I did with the tools you're using (I just don't know how, since I don't use them myself), but I'm just posting this as a reference. Would love to see more vids! Looks like you had some great dives.

bettercorrection.jpgScreenshot (4).jpg

I saw this video on YouTube and it does an excellent job of explaining how to correct color of GoPro Hero 2 in Adobe After Effects. The principles of this method will work in any editor.

Steps (Taken from YouTube post)

1. Photo Filter: Magenta 25%-60% depending on depth
2. Curves: Increase contrast and darken exposure
3. (Optional) Channel Mixer: Red-Green between 80 and 100, Red-Blue between -80 and -100
4. (Optional) Exposure: Gamma Correction between 0.6 and 0.9
5. Vibrance: Vibrance between 20 and 40, Saturation between 5 to 20
6. (Optional) Level: Fine tune colors
7. Sharpen: less than 20 or Unsharp Mask 100%

[video=youtube_share;UGthOhEMSYs]http://youtu.be/UGthOhEMSYs[/video]

I'm new to video editing in advanced terms. Iv'e been farting around with Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 lately and have found a lot of good info on this forum. I watched what he did on that clip with Adobe After Effects. I've been trying to do the same in Premiere though I also have After Effects. I can find most but not all of those filters in Premiere. I wonder what the difference in using the 2 apps is. I would rather do it all in just Premiere, saves a lot of back and forth.

I even tried Adobe Dynamic link which is supposed to simplify transfers of projects between both apps but it just isn't cooperating.

The tips regarding the dropper tool and white and black balance was very enlightening. I will be carrying a black/white slate with me on my next dives.

---------- Post added July 13th, 2013 at 11:18 AM ----------

Oh, man...I totally forgot about this thread. Saratoga is right, though. The slate is not to auto-white balance on (would be nice), it's to help you in post. BTW, with or without a filter, it is useful (gives you those true black/white targets. If you can get neutral grey on there, even better. If all you have is a white slate, but have a black wetsuit, for example, than can work, too; just make sure they are both in your "coplor correction" shots that you take whenever depth/light changes.

Then, in Vegas Pro 11, in either "Media FX", "Event FX", or even "Track FX" (depending on whether you want to correct at the media. event, or track level, respectively), add "Sony Color Corrector" to you FX Chain. The UI on this changed slightly in VP11 from VP10, but essentially, in the Color Corrector settings in the FX Chain, under custom, you can set the low, medium, and high areas of the picture with custom white balance (low, medium, and high correspond to the areas of dark/black, medium/grey, and light/white in the picture; think of them as sections on the histogram). The easiest way to do this is to use the eyedropper for the "Choose Complimentary Color" feature of each color wheel (low, medium, and high). This is the eyedropper with the [minus] sign next to it. Don't use the eyedropper with the plus sign ("Choose Adjustment Color") because this will just make your colors worse for reasons I won't go into right now. Once you choose the eyedropper for complimentary color, now click in your video clip (in the preview window) on the corresponing area of the video that represents the color that should be black, gray, or white, depending on which area you are working on (low, medium, high).

For example, you've got your video showing paused showing your slate in the preview window and you're working on the EventFX for the event in the timeline (or media if that's what you're doing). The black, grey, and white areas of the slate have somewhat green or blue tints to them because of the color problems. In the color corrector window, choose the Complimentary Eyedropper tool for "low" (or black), and then click in the video preview window on the part of the slate that should be black. Presto...the blacks all look really black (and it moved your cursor on the low color wheel to make it that way). Then do the same for the middle area by clicking on a neutral grey area on your slate, and then finally, do the same in the "high" area by clicking on the white area of your slate. Just like magic, you should notice the colors are much more true to life. You can also adjust things like saturation and gamma in this tool, although there are other ways to do this as well. I usually add the Sony Levels tool to the FX Chain as well, and use the histogram scope to adjust the "input start" and "input end" levels to cause the histogram to reach the edges, thus improving the overall contrast of the picture, but that's beyond color correcting.

When your ready to go more advanced to really dial in your masterpiece, you can even animate or keyframe these adjustments to change gradually with your video...but I would leave that to a future discovery for now.

Good luck, and let us know if you have any other questions. Can't wait to see the video(s).
Bill~

Here is a good video tutorial of what was explained above....took me a while to find this.

Using a gray card in Vegas Pro - YouTube

On a side note. I ordered a set of small reference cards (white, gray, black) Amazon.com: Optek Premium Reference White Balance Card - 3 Card Digital Color Correction Tool: Camera & Photo and I've noticed that apps like Vegas Pro have another adjustment called white balance in addition to color corrector. Should we be adjusting both or stick with color corrector? Also, in some tutorial they only set the neutral gray. This stuff gets real confusing but in the end all I want is a good looking video.

One last question. http://www.amazon.com/Optek-Premium-Reference-White-Balance/dp/B001KNP3MQ/ref=pd_cp_p_0

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom