Post-production - colour correction? (GoPro HD Hero2)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

crazy_about_scuba

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi all!

This video was taken at dawn on my GoPro HD Hero2 - low light conditions - at 16m with BlufFix lens (no filter). I've not got any lamps/lights...
Humphead Parrotfish, Scuba Diving at USAT Liberty, Tulamben, Bali (16m) 07/05/12 - GoPro HD Hero2 - YouTube

Should I adjust the colour balance/brightness/contrast in GoPro Cineform Studio? Will this produce a better result?

I've access to a PC with Sony Vegas 11 but don't know how to use it! I'm not very technical - would it be better for me to adjust the video in Sony Vegas? Is there an EASY way of doing this?

Many thanks in advance!

What edition of Vegas are you using? Is it Vegas Pro, or one of the consumer editions? Color correction in Vegas is quite good (and can be easy...but it's still something that needs to be practiced). I can give you a couple of pointers, but need to know which one you're using.
Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

@billwil thanks :) Vegas Pro 11. Are there any good YouTube/Vimeo Color Correction videos can you recommend? I'm not using a filter (at the moment) on my GoPro HD Hero2 (I'm using the SRP BlurFix housing)

Take a slate with you that has a white area and a black area (or use something else black) and make sure you take video of the slate in every setting/lighting conditions that you shoot in. That will make color correction later much easier because you have known references. When I get home (camping right now) I'll reply with details. I'm sure there are good videos out there, too, but I can't check right now. Short answer, you can use droppers to set reference white, black, and gray right in the video and it will correct it. I'll send info on cheating the gray, too, if you don't have gray in your shot. Give me a couple of days to get home.

@billwil thanks :) Vegas Pro 11. Are there any good YouTube/Vimeo Color Correction videos can you recommend? I'm not using a filter (at the moment) on my GoPro HD Hero2 (I'm using the SRP BlurFix housing)

Get a filter. There is only so much you can do in editing. The filter does the bulk of the work. The editing puts the finishing touches on the color.

@ronscuba Yes, as soon as I can I'll be getting a filter. I'm in Bali at the moment and nobody stocks them.

@billwil unfortunately the GoPro HD Hero2 has automatic WB - you can't set it manually - so slates are no good :( if I can do anything in post, I'd like to try!

@ronscuba Yes, as soon as I can I'll be getting a filter. I'm in Bali at the moment and nobody stocks them.

@billwil unfortunately the GoPro HD Hero2 has automatic WB - you can't set it manually - so slates are no good :( if I can do anything in post, I'd like to try!

A slate would still be very helpful because it gives you clear targets when you get to post. Ie if you shot something underwater which had a clear white and black and perhaps a neutral grey, then is makes it so much easier to colour correct the footage in post. You can click on the white slate in your video with an eyedropper and it will tell your program that this is what white should look like...not the bluish white in my video. I haven't tried it underwater yet, but often use it for colour critical photography such as photographing art.

You just need to put your slat in front of the video every now and then when the depth/light changes

Oh, man...I totally forgot about this thread. Saratoga is right, though. The slate is not to auto-white balance on (would be nice), it's to help you in post. BTW, with or without a filter, it is useful (gives you those true black/white targets. If you can get neutral grey on there, even better. If all you have is a white slate, but have a black wetsuit, for example, than can work, too; just make sure they are both in your "coplor correction" shots that you take whenever depth/light changes.

Then, in Vegas Pro 11, in either "Media FX", "Event FX", or even "Track FX" (depending on whether you want to correct at the media. event, or track level, respectively), add "Sony Color Corrector" to you FX Chain. The UI on this changed slightly in VP11 from VP10, but essentially, in the Color Corrector settings in the FX Chain, under custom, you can set the low, medium, and high areas of the picture with custom white balance (low, medium, and high correspond to the areas of dark/black, medium/grey, and light/white in the picture; think of them as sections on the histogram). The easiest way to do this is to use the eyedropper for the "Choose Complimentary Color" feature of each color wheel (low, medium, and high). This is the eyedropper with the [minus] sign next to it. Don't use the eyedropper with the plus sign ("Choose Adjustment Color") because this will just make your colors worse for reasons I won't go into right now. Once you choose the eyedropper for complimentary color, now click in your video clip (in the preview window) on the corresponing area of the video that represents the color that should be black, gray, or white, depending on which area you are working on (low, medium, high).

For example, you've got your video showing paused showing your slate in the preview window and you're working on the EventFX for the event in the timeline (or media if that's what you're doing). The black, grey, and white areas of the slate have somewhat green or blue tints to them because of the color problems. In the color corrector window, choose the Complimentary Eyedropper tool for "low" (or black), and then click in the video preview window on the part of the slate that should be black. Presto...the blacks all look really black (and it moved your cursor on the low color wheel to make it that way). Then do the same for the middle area by clicking on a neutral grey area on your slate, and then finally, do the same in the "high" area by clicking on the white area of your slate. Just like magic, you should notice the colors are much more true to life. You can also adjust things like saturation and gamma in this tool, although there are other ways to do this as well. I usually add the Sony Levels tool to the FX Chain as well, and use the histogram scope to adjust the "input start" and "input end" levels to cause the histogram to reach the edges, thus improving the overall contrast of the picture, but that's beyond color correcting.

When your ready to go more advanced to really dial in your masterpiece, you can even animate or keyframe these adjustments to change gradually with your video...but I would leave that to a future discovery for now.

Good luck, and let us know if you have any other questions. Can't wait to see the video(s).
Bill~

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom