Post your Boast! (Pics of your catch)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

20.2lbs Gag Grouper
A fish so nice, I had to shoot him twice!
(Only went through one gill plate the first time, second time through both)

15lbs Black Grouper
Bad shot and had to fight off 2 sharks to keep it

Jolthead Porgy
Don't know weight, but it's the biggest one I've seen... or ate! :)

Attachments

• sw-fl-open-2010 008.jpg
    sw-fl-open-2010 008.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 108
  • sw-fl-open-2010 006.jpg
    sw-fl-open-2010 006.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 99
  • sw-fl-open-2010 002.jpg
    sw-fl-open-2010 002.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 102
Heres a pic of some summers ago...... 80 kilos Broomtail Grouper taken with a Hawaiian sling harpoon. A friend bet me I could do it. Was the last fish I killed for sport.

Attachments

• Con garopa de 80 kg isla cedros.jpg
    Con garopa de 80 kg isla cedros.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 334
On a Hawaiian sling?! VERY nice grouper. And by 'sport' I hope you don't mean that you didn't eat any of it, that would truly be a shame.

Toad for sure...hawaiin sling must of been bad ass!

Heres a pic of some summers ago...... 80 kilos Broomtail Grouper taken with a Hawaiian sling harpoon. A friend bet me I could do it. Was the last fish I killed for sport.

That's amazing. Where did you hit it? I hit a big (100 lb plus) grouper with a 65 inch gun with three 5/8", almost new bands and it only pierced the abdominal cavity not going all the way through.

On a Hawaiian sling?! VERY nice grouper. And by 'sport' I hope you don't mean that you didn't eat any of it, that would truly be a shame.
Of course we ate it, I never kill anything that I didn't intend to eat. Fillet of gouper, stuffed with cheese and spices, floured and fried taste delicious. I took some and gave away most of it to my friends and some bystanders from town.

Last edited:
That's amazing. Where did you hit it? I hit a big (100 lb plus) grouper with a 65 inch gun with three 5/8", almost new bands and it only pierced the abdominal cavity not going all the way through.
The fish was taken on Isla Cedros, in the border between Baja California and Baja California Sur in the pacific side of Baja Peninsula. The place where I found it's a kinda of special reserve area that the fishing coop that runs the island has. No commercial fishing is allowed on that site and sport only by permision. There were at least 15 or 20 more groupers,some yellowtails, plenty of blue abalone and lobsters galore all over the place. And to answer the question, I got lucky and was able to get close enough to hit it in the area between the eyes and slightly above. I was trying for a kill shot because other two groupers I hit, the Hawaiian sling just bounced off the cover of gills or from the side. This guys are really hard to kill.

Last edited:
Looks an awful lot like your avatar pic though..............

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom