Post Your Latest Gear Failure!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A good excuse to buy the newly improved (?) SK8.

Once my burning hatred for Suunto wears off, I probably will order one.

My Bare HDC Tech Expedition drysuit flooded quickly when I got in the water for my last dives of cave2 class. Game over.

Zipper Kaput.
zipper%20kaput_zpshr1xs90j.jpg

Bare boasts a lifetime warranty, so I shipped it off to them. Hopefully they honor it, the suit isn't quite a year old and has less than 40 dives. I thought I'd been taking good care of it, but apparently I have not.

I'm particularly careful when donning suit as I've noticed more strain than is probably good at the exact point your TiZip has torn. I wonder if this has happened to anyone else?

Various gear problems and failures some new some old. Some affected my future buying.

- Lights or strobes failed due to leaks. All were twist on/off. Will never buy another twist on/off light with oring seal on the same threads.

- Rubber high pressure hose, slight leak at fitting. Old hose, did not affect future buying

- Flexible high pressure hose, slight leak at fitting. New hose, speaking with others, common failure. Will not buy another flexible HP hose.

- Wing dump valve broken off. Found sitting on bench next to BCD. Total failure, had to rent a BCD for rest of trip. Researched and found others with same exact crack pattern in the dump valve from this wing mfr. Left a bad taste and now hesitant to buy another wing from this mfr. lProbably a bad batch of dump valves, but lost confidence in the mfr.

- Used wing, inflator valve stuck open. Wing gradually inflated. Disconnected inflater hose and orally inflated rest of trip. Bought and installed a new $15 inflator myself. Did not affect future buying from wing mfr.

Drysuit wrist seal. Seven years old and I use dry gloves anyway so not a big deal. Will have to order a set from DRIS.

7 years was a good run, were they latex?

Yes they were the original latex that came on my Bare Nex-Gen. I ordered the suit with the Si tech quick cuffs so replacing the seals will take all of five minutes. I only got about five years out of the original neck seal.

I lost my main mask after Saturdays dives, and the clutch plate broke on my DPV just before the first dive on Sunday ....

Luckily I had a spare of each!

BRad

Another dive, another failure ... the first dive with recently rebuilt regulators. Just after descending, my dive buddy gave me the Japanese signal for no and thumbed my dive. Upon surfacing, he said my HP hose was leaking. I swam back to the beach and then walked up the hill, took off my BP&W and put it in the rinse tank. There were about 100 places where the hose was leaking from the first stage down to the SPG, not at the fittings but in the rubber itself.

Now I have to find an HP hose in Japan. It will probably cost at least $100 US, but I'll try not to think about it as I pay in ¥. It's best to never convert ¥ to $ because then you realize you just paid $20 for a watermelon or $100 for an HP hose.

Another dive, another failure ... the first dive with recently rebuilt regulators. Just after descending, my dive buddy gave me the Japanese signal for no and thumbed my dive. Upon surfacing, he said my HP hose was leaking. I swam back to the beach and then walked up the hill, took off my BP&W and put it in the rinse tank. There were about 100 places where the hose was leaking from the first stage down to the SPG, not at the fittings but in the rubber itself.

Now I have to find an HP hose in Japan. It will probably cost at least $100 US, but I'll try not to think about it as I pay in ¥. It's best to never convert ¥ to $ because then you realize you just paid $20 for a watermelon or $100 for an HP hose.

I hear ya. PM me if you have a hard time finding a hose. I have a couple of new ones in my spares box, happy to send one to you for my cost.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom