Postcard from Kona

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hinalo

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Last Thursday, fate being all quirky and all, Robin, Ron, Carrie, me and my wife Lynn, all converged on the Place of Refuge, a super shore diving spot on the Kona coast. We agreed that if we'd tried to plan a Kona M&G it would never happen, but coincidence ruled and so there we were.

We surveyed the easy two-step entry rock, geared up and headed out over the shallow coral garden, bursting with color and full of fish. We took a heading of 240˚ out and dropped 50 meters from shore in about 15' of water. The plan was roughly to hit the sand patch just to the right of our heading, see the "ALOHA" cinderblock sculpture, and then dip over the wall and go either left to see the magnificent wall of cascading plate coral, or right to follow the coral wall around the bowl-shaped bay until turn pressure.

Dive 1

51 minutes
depth 45 fsw
temp 79˚
vis 100+

Ron and Robin headed off together and Lynn and I went right on the wall until we hit a small sand channel running east/west toward shore. There were a lot of Ornate Butterflies, Yellow tangs, Racoon butterflies, sargent majors, and Trigger fish. On the way back we inspected the wall of plate coral on the south side of the bay. It is a breathtaking structure dropping almost straight to the bottom at about 110'.

Here's Ron at the aloha sculpture
showfull.php

The wall heading north (right)

Plate coral

ornate butterflies

Dive 2

54 minutes
depth 73 fsw
temp 75˚
vis 100+

Ron, Carrie and I took off to the right and explored further around the bay than I'd ever gone. Ron found a small eel poking out of his hole.

Here is a short video from that dive and another I did further north at Kahuwai Bay on a lovely garden reef.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Sie-vgH0lE

Later that night both Ron and Robin did the black water dive. I opted to call it a day and was drinking a longboard while those guys were dangling on a 50' tether over 6000 feet of water in the inky blackness.

Wow. Look at that viz... And the water temperature... Heading out to Kona myself in a few weeks.

Let me know if you have any recommendations on dive charters/favorite dive spots (I've never been to the Big Island above or below water). I'm dragging a group of divers along and looking to charter out a whole boat.

Definitely budget some time to dive with Kohala Divers in Kawaihai. They have a nice boat and great staff. And Kohala diving is very different from south of the airport: massive structure, with lots of big dikes and walls extending seaward. Also, not a lot of pressure on the reefs up there so it's almost pristine.

I've heard good things recently about Wanna Dive charter. With the bigger dive ops I'd try to book their advanced dives just to be in the water with fewer people, and maybe go to some more interesting spots, do some drift dives.

Fav spots: can't go wrong spending a day at the Place of Refuge shore diving. In the north I really wanted to shore dive Puako but ran out of time and was only able to see the site from topside. Looks like a winner though. From a boat I think so far my favorite spot is LAX, but you will probably only be able to get there on an advanced charter due to it being a live boat dive over a very sensitive and fragile reef.

I'll echo Hinalos recommendations. while I have not personally dove with Kohola, Jeff has. We dove with Steve at Wanna dive Kona. Being a small operation, trying to grow his business, he's running a 6 pack boat, which appeals to me. Bob the DM was fantastic. If you decide to give him a call , tell him Ron says Aloha.

Thanks.

This is bringing back great memories of dives and dive buddies.

I've GOTTA get back there next year.

Nice dive report and photos. Thanks for sharing :)

Great report and pics! I think that's so awesome how you all ended up there at the same time and got to dive together.

Oh how I miss the warm, clear water, with no sea nettles to deal with. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom