Potential problems of using the wrong lens for your port?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When you use a fixed focal lens that wasn't designed for the port you're using on your housing, what are some of the possible problems (this assumes it fits, of course!).

- eg: using a 60mm in a port designed for a 105mm?
Thanks for your indulgence with what might be a silly question!

Even though I replied above saying that it works very well and sometimes is even preferable, I must add that this only goes for flatports. And using macro lenses in flatports. If you experiment with more or less wide angle lenses in flatports you my very well get vinjetting and if are using a DOME you must have the exact distance that the DOME manufacturer prescribes or you will get all sorts of trouble.

/Fota

Even though I replied above saying that it works very well and sometimes is even preferable, I must add that this only goes for flatports. And using macro lenses in flatports. If you experiment with more or less wide angle lenses in flatports you my very well get vinjetting and if are using a DOME you must have the exact distance that the DOME manufacturer prescribes or you will get all sorts of trouble.

/Fota

Thanks, Fota - that makes a lot of sense!

Back
Top Bottom