Potentially brand new to lobstering

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

iztok

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I might be going to FL Keys end of the year and wondering what would I need to know if I wanted to try lobstering? In terms of rules and what kind of equipment is good for beginner?

I saw 3" rule and 6 max per day online. Also says one needs permit so I guess I need to find out where I get one as well.

Anything that can help potential fellow lobster diver?

Thanks! :)

Try to avoid tearing up the reef to catch a bug. This means stay off the bottom.

Try to avoid tearing up the reef to catch a bug. This means stay off the bottom.

That is a given. I've spent most of my year so far to improve my buoyancy.

You can get a lobster permit at Wal-Mart, go to the sporting goods counter. Hurry though, by the time you get down here it'll be a federal violation to touch a freakin lobster!

Cool, thanks!

I got me a "lobster inn", a measuring tool, gloves, and tickling rod. Is there anything else?

Any tips/tricks? I never done this before or seen anyone doing it :)

#1-Find Lobster

#1, find a lobster......that sarcastically sounds a lot like " That's why they call it fishing, not catching!":eyebrow::rofl3::shakehead:
Great responses folks! (and on my first or second openwater checkout dive, my instructor tried to put one in my hand, I had nary a clue as to what he was doing, and I mishandled it badly, it jetted away...but he gave me video of it......too funny.....and I love reading this thread!)
Just re-found this, let me try it here.....remember, it was my first or second openwater dive.....don't get too critical, ok?

Last edited:
rodman dropped a slipper lobster in the video. Looks like he didn't get deep in the reef right away, somebody sould have followed that up. They're pretty defenseless, other than their camo.

Spinies are a lot tougher to catch by hand. Get a net to go with your tickle stick and walk the bug right into it. Those little guys down in the keys are very fast.

Chad

Back
Top Bottom