Power Inflator Inlet Valve not Screwing back in...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Manatee Diver

Stop throwing lettuce at me!
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
My power inflator was leaking from the button, so I dissassembled it, cleaned it, and replaced the orings. Now I can't get the inlet valve to screw back in. It doesn't feel like the threads are engaging. Any tips?

Lube it and push hard
...but be careful...easy to cross-thread.

My power inflator was leaking from the button, so I dissassembled it, cleaned it, and replaced the orings. Now I can't get the inlet valve to screw back in. It doesn't feel like the threads are engaging. Any tips?
Depending on the type you may want to replace the whole thing. The generic ones are cheap.

Lube it and push hard

That is what she... never mind, hmm I need someway to put more force on it. I think I need something better than the DGX tool, hard to put much force on it.

Depending on the type you may want to replace the whole thing. The generic ones are cheap.

I already took my spare and put it on. I wanted to overhaul this one and make it my spare.

Shouldn't need much force at all.
Second that. Although never had those threads give me trouble, I have had my BC Plastic Thread at the Corrugated Hose where it goes into the Bladder up on left shoulder area, have near cross threading problem.

How I was able to get a better steadiness in twisting the bezel nut, (or whatever you call it) to attach the corrugated hose to the bladder, was placing the BC Upside Down. Then very lightly twisting the nut to catch the threads on the bladder of the BC. I would make a few attempts an back off a couple times before I committed to finish tightening it. Making sure no back pressure detected of much. That would indicate that cross threading had begun to occur.

On metal threads of the one that you are working with you should do the same. When I take off or put back on for the first stage any hoses, this is the way I do it. Otherwise, the hose is probably not that costly, but the first stage sure is.

The best thing to do is if in doubt, throw it out. Yea, a thread tap or thread chaser is something, but I would not want to trust a fix for cross threads. Think of high pressure, not just 150psi. Wrong threads on tank valves going into a tank neck, and people have died when unexpected the thing lets go. Just a thought.

A friend that lurks here texted me and said just to push the button down with my palm really hard to seat it, and that worked.

After I sold my Teric mounts to someone here I bought the better inflator tool from Scuba Tools (also picked up their book) for my home kit. Hopefully that will be a little easier in the future, but I am hoping to not have to deal with this for a few years.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom