Power inflator vent button: Where to buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HenrikBP

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've lost 2 of the vent buttons on power inflators now. One disappeared at the beginning of a dive (interesting ...), and on the other one the threads fractured after I serviced the inflator; the threaded part simply shattered into many pieces about 2 hours after I'd put it together. Odd.

Anyway, I need 2 buttons and 2 springs to salvage two otherwise good inflator assemblies. I've searched the usual online stores, but didn't find the individual parts. I'd hate to buy yet another complete assembly.

Which brand of inflater?

Good question, we're using those now as well. I may have seen (3rd party?) rebuild kits but not individual hard parts but the buttons. I suspect they're imported in mass quantity and what you see is what you get, but I'll be watching for a better answer.

Pete

McMaster-Carr

Of course, using anything other than what the manufacturer sells could lead to your death and doom, but might a generic small knob work?

Or, you could adjust your diving style. I've destroyed backup lights, SPG's, high pressure hoses, first and second stages, but a power inflator? And two of them? I think you're doing it wrong! :wink:

Good question, we're using those now as well. I may have seen (3rd party?) rebuild kits but not individual hard parts but the buttons. I suspect they're imported in mass quantity and what you see is what you get, but I'll be watching for a better answer.

Thanks Pete - I may just be old fashioned, but I really don't like throwing perfectly good kit away, when it'd be so easy to fix.

McMaster-Carr

Of course, using anything other than what the manufacturer sells could lead to your death and doom, but might a generic small knob work?

Or, you could adjust your diving style. I've destroyed backup lights, SPG's, high pressure hoses, first and second stages, but a power inflator? And two of them? I think you're doing it wrong! :wink:

That's actually not a bad idea at all. Question is if they have them in an appropriate size. They might even come with a nice brass insert, which would no doubt hold up better than the plastic they come with.

And I guess you've got a point. In my defense - I don't know what happened to the first knob. It could've simply loosened up and fallen off. My wing stopped holding air, and I realized it was gone. This second one, I suspect it might have been air pressure ...?? 1) it took awhile before it came apart and 2) when it did it came apart in many small pieces. I used loctite when I installed it, and since I'd already lost one knob, I made sure to get it on there tight. If I'd over-tightenend, I would suspect it would have just cracked right then and there, but it didn't.

Oh well, I'll check out McMaster :)

Thanks Dave. Trident is a great idea. Unfortunately th A121 is the power/pressure side of the inflator. Controls the LP inflation gas. I'm looking for the ambient pressure side - where you'd vent from - i.e. the big button on the "end" of the power inflator assembly. I'll look through the catalog and see if there are other options.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom