Power Supply on a Liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Drewdawg1977

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi :)

I'm taking my first liveaboard trip to Komodo in a few weeks...... Super excited!!! I have quite a bit of photography equipment, most of which will need to be charged frequently. Can anyone recommend some sort of universal power strip or will I need an adapter for each thing I need to charge?

Thanks!

Drew

there are 2 separate issues:
- power voltage
- mechanical plug

most (all?) recent electronic equipment power supplies can take 220 or 110. check your stuff. if it covers both, then no stepdown transformer will be required if the boat provides 220.

to solve the mechanical plug issue i use a 220 volt universal power bar. it has 3 recepticles that accept all of the common plugs.

check with the boat to see what type of outlets are provided.

note: do not try to use a 110 power bar on 220 supply. the smoke will get out and it will stop working.

Somewhere on the ship website there's probably power specifications/recommendations. Often in a FAQ or Know before you Go post.
Siren for example lists this in their FAQ:
7. What kind of power outlets do you have on your diving yachts?
On all our liveaboard yachts we have both 220V / 50Hz and 24V / 60Hz available. Power points require European style, 2 round pin plugs, a small selection of adapters are available on board, however we recommend you bring a universal adapter with you. 110V converter is also available aboard our vessels.
To giffenk's point - this is a Euro 2 pin plug: https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/...V5Lyou1Sk1M4wy1pc_dbctC9UVzwd-1GBB0n7AGpEZ8pA

so you might want to bring an adapter:

Amazon.com: 5 Piece International AC Plug Adapter Set for Europe; Middle East & Africa; Asia Pacific; South America; & South Pacific By Lenmar: Electronics

I always bring a power strip. This way I'm only using one of the boat's outlets, leaving more room for others.

I've only done one live-aboard, that being in Belize, and so this may or may not apply to you. They didn't want us leaving power strips on unattended in our rooms. If we wanted to use a charger, do it in the main salon/dining area where if trouble happens at least people are in & out & likely to notice pretty quickly.

There's been another post on a U.S.-based live-aboard where I believe power strips in rooms were frowned upon.

I used mine to power up my devices at night. During the day, I simply needed to be mindful that if I left the room, the strip was unplugged. A boat in the middle of the ocean is a bad place for an electrical fire.

Richard.

If you're travelling on Indo Siren - they have plenty of multi-socket adapters on board and connections for 110v if you need it - so you may not need to bring anything extra!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom