Komodo liveaboard 3D2N

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bfwolf1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My friend and I are headed to Indonesia and will have a week between Bali and the Komodo area. We were planning on shore-based diving from Labuan Bajo but it sounds like liveaboards are a really good option there. We really only have time for 3D2N, but it doesn't seem like there are many options for such a short liveaboard. I think the Tatawa goes on the date we need (April 28 - 30) but with only 2 bathrooms for the 8 passengers, this is perhaps a level below what we'd really like, where each room has its own bathroom. Too much to ask?

Stayed couple of times there. Great value.

Good review on SB.

Stayed couple of times there. Great value.

Good review on SB.
Scuba Junkie is a hotel though? Not a liveaboard?

The Mimic seems like a significant step down from the Tatami, which was lower-end than I wanted. Sleeping on deck???

The Mimic seems like a significant step down from the Tatami, which was lower-end than I wanted. Sleeping on deck???
I’m the one recommending Mimic.
We’ve done a lot of lob’s and always book cabin with ac and private bath, but Mimic is honestly one of the best lob’s we’ve done.

Before we traveled I worried about everyone sharing 1 bathroom and sleeping on deck. Would have been nice to have another bathroom, but the sleeping on deck was fantastic - never too hot or cold and the sound of the waves while falling asleep was so nice. Since there’s no ac there’s no noise at night and they moor away from all the other boats.

Crew was amazing and the fact we (family of 4) were the only guests was priceless - the full charter was the reason I picked the boat in the first place. If we were to go back I would definitely pick Mimic in a heartbeat.

In April 2023 our friends did a snorkel trip with mimic and had a fabulous time.

If you do a search for mimic you can find my full trip report.

Scuba Junkie is a hotel though? Not a liveaboard?

SJ is a resort and offers flexibility that no LoB can match.

Good luck to your search for LoB in Komodo offering 3D/2N and satisfying your expectation.

SJ is a resort and offers flexibility that no LoB can match.

Good luck to your search for LoB in Komodo offering 3D/2N and satisfying your expectation.
What’s the big upside for SJ besides obvious comfort of land based? Does Scuba Junkie not suffer from all the same things that people say makes Komodo a great liveaboard destination?

My friend and I are headed to Indonesia and will have a week between Bali and the Komodo area. We were planning on shore-based diving from Labuan Bajo but it sounds like liveaboards are a really good option there. We really only have time for 3D2N, but it doesn't seem like there are many options for such a short liveaboard. I think the Tatawa goes on the date we need (April 28 - 30) but with only 2 bathrooms for the 8 passengers, this is perhaps a level below what we'd really like, where each room has its own bathroom. Too much to ask?

A handful of times of in the year, I will be on a liveaboard with 12 to 15 people and two bathrooms.
This is usually overnight or two nights.

Doable.

I just got back from a few days at Scuba Junkies. It is a ``resort'' but you dive from the dayboats that are out and gone all day. You usually leave the resort around 7, return around 3-4, and do three dives while out for the day.

I think the flexibility comes from not being on a boat for 3 and 4 days straight, especially since all but a few of the boats in Komodo right now are all the ``backpacking'' variety. Overall, SJ offered good value. The food was decent, and I had a large, AC room to myself. They had some faults, I plan to do a full review soon, but overall, it was a solid option to the backpacker type boats in the area.

Important to note, you don't dive on your first day or your last day, though you could dive on your last day if you hired the private boat to take you back into town after the day boat returns. So, if you have truly limited time, this needs to be taken into account.

I just got back from a few days at Scuba Junkies. It is a ``resort'' but you dive from the dayboats that are out and gone all day. You usually leave the resort around 7, return around 3-4, and do three dives while out for the day.

I think the flexibility comes from not being on a boat for 3 and 4 days straight, especially since all but a few of the boats in Komodo right now are all the ``backpacking'' variety. Overall, SJ offered good value. The food was decent, and I had a large, AC room to myself. They had some faults, I plan to do a full review soon, but overall, it was a solid option to the backpacker type boats in the area.

Important to note, you don't dive on your first day or your last day, though you could dive on your last day if you hired the private boat to take you back into town after the day boat returns. So, if you have truly limited time, this needs to be taken into account.
We are arriving at DPS late afternoon/early evening on April 26, too late to catch a flight to LBJ unfortunately. So our plan was to fly to LBJ on the 27th, dive the 28th through the 30th, and fly back to DPS on May 1. Then we'd go up to Ubud for a couple of days before our flights out late afternoon on May 3.

if you have that time frame, SJ should be able to work with you. My timeline while there was very similar.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom