Powerex 2700mAh NiMH Batteries

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ramon Fregoso

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hi,
I have been using Powerex 2700mAh NiMH Batteries in my YS-90DX strobes and I am very satisfied with the results, they recycle faster, but it has been brought to my attention that it can be dangerous, for me or for the strobes.
Is this true?
Which brand of rechargeable batteries do you recommend?
Best regards.
Ramon

Ramon--You'll probably hear that Eneloops are the best way to go. I'm using them now, no complaints but I had previously used the Powerex 2700 batteries for my Sea & Sea 110A for a couple years with no problems. Inon strobes (especially the S-2000) seem to be more of a concern for which battery types to use or not use.

Didn't really notice any difference for recycle times or number of flashes on a charge when I switched. Bill Van Antwerp did a great review on rechargeable batteries in a 2 part series on UW Photographers Guide, check it out: Batteries and Chargers | Underwater Photography Guide // ww

Thanks WW,
I will see the review.
Ramon

Thanks for re-finding the article for me WW. I read it a while ago but lost the link.

Basically, low discharge NiMH like eneloop are able to discharge much closer to its total stored energy in high discharge devices compared to normal NiMH. Fast charge strobes like the Sea&Sea and Inon sucks alot more current than those low end ones that usually have 10 sec recycle time and light sensor on the strobe itself instead of using some form of TTL, so it would be better to use low discharge batteries like eneloop on the Sea&Sea strobe.

I did have a Panasonic 2200 mA MiNH discharge so much gas while it was in my camera that the internal pressure pushed the camera's o-ring outward, thus allowing the water to flow in and flood my camera. This happened in the soak tank, where it is pretty much at 1 ATA, not while underwater where the external pressure is much higher.

FWIW, been using Eneloops with Sea & Sea YS-01's, no issues. I shoot almost weekly, travel a lot, and push them hard. Never had a problem. Another FWIW, I've also used the Apple Rechargeable AA's, with no issue as well. Those are basically re-branded Eneloops.

Well it is understood and now I am in the market buying the Eneloops.
I guess the new 2500 mHa will be OK.
Thanks to all.

If you can get your hands on them (and a good charger) NiCad or Nickel Cadnium batteries can take a much higher draw than NiMh. The downside is a shorter lifespan and higher weight. I would not ever consider Lithium Ion or polymer batteries for that application however.

Back
Top Bottom