Pre-dive checks, what do you do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dugongberbulu

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just thought I would ask you all what kind of pre-dive checks you do, before getting in the water and shallow?

I'm sure you'll have something I haven't thought of, and could make it better.

Cheers

usually i do the classic padi check (BWRAF thing); i also check that the tank straps are fastened as tight as possible (i saw people checking this at an exam for dive-masters and it seemed like a good idea :)) and that the air is on; and also i smell the air a few times (read about this on scubaboard);

is this related to photography?

regarding my camera ... if i have access to a gear wash-tank before the dive i sink it in the gear box before the dive: first i keep it under for about 5 seconds and check there are no bubbles, then i take it out and look for water inside, i leave it sunk (as far as i know this should minimize any fogging inside the casing)

OK, my mistake, I should have clarified, that what I meant is: what pre-dive checks do you do with regards to your video set-up?

Assumed that by posting in the Videography set-up... well, I assumed, and now I need to :boxing_sm myself, and possibly some :bash: before someone :flame:

I love smileys...

Cheers!

I turn it on and off once. Just to make sure everything is aligned right, batteries (mine runs on AA) are inserted properly, etc. Got in a hurry on a recent dive and didn't get the batteries in +-+- . . . +-++ doesn't really cut it! I spent the whole dive wondering why my camera wouldn't work. ;-)

Check the batteries the day before, check the oring a day before, and always make sure I've got a new tape in the drive so I don't ruin anything older footage in case flooding occurs....which hopefully it won't!!!

Always have extra sillica and have dry packs with me at all times.

Like the person said above me, shortly after getting on the boat, and we're on our way, I put it in the tank and make sure I have no stream of bubbles coming from the the sealed points, then let it sit in the tank till I'm ready to go.

I won't open the camera housing again, unless I'm done for the day. luckily I've never had to change the tape midway through...but now with minidv, 1 hour tapes may only last 2 dives... :/

-Mark

Same as the comments above.
Have it completely prepared and tested in a safe location (for a day dive: at home, for a liveaboard: in the cabin or dry workbench).

Before reaching the dive site:
- Switch it on, make sure it can record. Test the lights. Check filter position.
- Leave it in the camera bucket until ready to dive.

Immediately before diving:
- Gear up - all except fins, mask around neck.
- Move the camera closer to the entry point (if no where is safe, keep in hand)
- Make sure the boatman knows to hand the camera to me when I enter.
- Make sure the wrist strap is open so I can slip it on easily once in the water.
- Take off the lens cap and put it somewhere safe
(or leave it floating in the gear bucket).
- Enter, receive camera and strap to wrist.
- Descend, during descent turn on camera
(so it can get its white balance right)
- Set manual focus to 1 meter.
- Start hunting...

Regards
Peter

Thanks everyone for there feedback. Looks like nobody has any special tricks.... Keep It Simple ******.

Question: how have you rigged your lanyard (if you use one)? Snaps? How long a lead? I know there was another thread about where to clip it somewhere on the board...

Gonzalve:
Thanks everyone for there feedback. Looks like nobody has any special tricks.... Keep It Simple ******.

Question: how have you rigged your lanyard (if you use one)? Snaps? How long a lead? I know there was another thread about where to clip it somewhere on the board...
I have one of these:

http://www.cetaceacorp.com/cgi-bin/..._seen=6&category=Coil_Lanyards&store=products

I clip it to a d-ring on the front of my BC once I'm handed my housing. It's also handy on shore entries clipped to a chest d-ring, it's short enough clipped together that the camera doesn't drag on anything. Unclipped it's about 3' long so it stays clipped to my BC during the dive in case I drop the camera for some reason. I also think the little bit of pull helps me to steady the camera.

I do most of the tricks mentioned above, putting the camera in the tank in addition to helping determine leaks will usually also cut down on fogging. At least in warm water.

One trick I've read recently, if you're on a busy boat, get 20' or so of line with good clips on each end. Just prior to entering the water, clip your housing off and lower it into the water at the side of the boat, then swim over and get it yourself u/w.

I just started using Peter's white balance trick this summer in Bonaire, a lot of our entries were shallow drops over white sand, so since I'm not doing much during descent anyway, except waiting for my buddy who has equalizing problems usually, I point the camera down and let it adjust.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom