prefered site to book belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nuts4corals

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just wondering what is the proffered web site to book Belize trips? My travel agent wont touch it, unsure why?

Are people using sites like travelocity or is there a specific Belize booking site that people use than makes things easier to book flights into Belize, transfer flights to Atolls, Hotels/resorts and dive excursions? Or it is best to just book through the individual web sites?

Thanks!

Maybe because there is not many or any chain resorts there. I have used online booking sights for hotels then booked flights through the airlines. Don't forget to search SW for flights as well since they do not show up on many of the search engines. I have booked Tropic Air on their website without issues.

How does it work with these secondary air companies like Tropic air... are they located close or walking distance from the international airport in belize city? or will I need a cab to get there? also how quickly should i plan boarding and bag claim with these flights in belize? thanks

and.. what is SW?

Southwest. Hard to get lost at BZE, it's been a couple years but all the airlines shared the same waiting room.

Im refering to the domestic prop planes... do they fly out of the same international airport that the big planes fly from?

Many of the resorts in Belize will handle the travel and transfers from the airport in Belize City to their resort. My wife and I have been to both Discover Hamanasi Resort | Award Winning Resort in Belize resort in Hopkins as well as Turneffe Island Resort – Private Diving & Fishing Resort – Belize. In both cases the resort handled all of the transportation from the Goldson airport in Belize City including additional airfare, taxi, van pickup, boat ride, etc. Once you have decided on a resort, talk to them about transportation. They will make it very easy on you - all you have to do is get yourself to Belize.

Most airfare search engines do not include Southwest Airlines. In order to fly on Southwest, it's best if you search their website: Southwest Airlines – Airline Tickets, Flights, and Airfares Keep in mind that there are no checked baggage fees on first and second checked bags.

The Phillip S. W. Goldson airport is not a very big facility. All airlines, both domestic prop planes as well as the big planes use the same facility. Our trip to Hamanasi included a flight to Dangriga on a single engine Cessna (Caravan) that was handled by the resort - a very nice flight.

Last edited:
Thank you charles... this is some great info. much appreciated.

follow up:
is there an advantage to flying southwest air vs. others? do they have more flights to Belize? cheaper? and why do search engines not have SW on their manifest?

Many of the resorts in Belize will handle the travel and transfers from the airport in Belize City to their resort. My wife and I have been to both Discover Hamanasi Resort | Award Winning Resort in Belize resort in Hopkins as well as Turneffe Island Resort – Private Diving & Fishing Resort – Belize. In both cases the resort handled all of the transportation from the Goldson airport in Belize City including additional airfare, taxi, van pickup, boat ride, etc. Once you have decided on a resort, talk to them about transportation. They will make it very easy on you - all you have to do is get yourself to Belize.

Hope I'm not hijacking, but I'm very curious how you compare the diving part of the experience at the two resorts you mention. I've been to Turneffe Island Resort and liked it.

Southwest does not have a luggage charge for the first two bags, it think. They started flying to BZE a couple years ago and the competition helped lower the prices of the other airlines.
I always assumed airlines had to pay to get their info on search engines and Southwest was trying to keep expenses low.

Booking things in Belize?

Easy, book a flight with your preferred airline to BZE

Need to head to the South? Book a flight with Maya/Tropic air 1-2hrs after your flight supposedly lands at BZE

Once you walk out the door through customs, head straight through the next door (not to the right to the street exit) and you are now looking at their checkin counters on the left

Need a resort? Call them up (email is spotty) and book directly

Need a place to stay and a dive op? Do the same.

Most land resorts will handle transportation (built into their price ... but do inquire just in case they don't)

For me, whenever I go, it's 3-4 phone calls ...
1 - Int. Airline
2 - Hostel
3 - Dive Op
4 - (if I'm heading south) Local Airline
all usually takes 20-30min

Otherwise (not going south), hop in a Cab, go to the water taxi terminal, buy a return ticket and get on the boat :)
Or hop in a Cab, go to the bus terminal, buy a ticket and go on a road trip :)

_R

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom