Preferred deco bottle reg?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would love too.

Only problem is mk21 and c370 is half of the price of mk19 Evo and g260 ))

I would love too.

MK17 and MK19 are basically the same, MK17+G260 is not that much more than the MK21/C370. $200 delta and I would argue it's well worth the premium.

@burhan's comment, I at least put my own money where my mouth is and have top quality regs all across the board.

I divided my choices in several scenario's: just use which is applicable.

For a very poor man who cares about hose routing:

-old Scubapro mk10+g250. I've been using that set on my 100% for almost 3 years now. No issues yet.
Technically the seat in the first isn't O2 approved so it's something you should do at your own risk.
I just O2 cleaned it completely and got a viton kit and been loving it.

For a poor man who doesn't care about hose routing:
-Apeks XL4 O2 clean version
SP mk17+c370
Scubapro Mk2 + r195

For a poor man who wants to be a bit different:
-Mares XR O2 Mk2 ripoff?

For a middle class French man:

-Aqualung Core or Legends

For a richer man who does care about hose routing :
-Apeks dst+xtx50
-Atomic M1

For a German who got upsold the mk25 by his Scubapro rep who swore it performed better than an mk19 and now the thing has freeflowed three times last winter and he's rethinking life's choices:
-Scubapro Mk19 + G260

For a rich man who pretends to not care about anything, but actually really cares, and probably drinks single estate coffee every single day of the week, uses words like 'Lamentable' on a regular basis, or just loves crayfish parties:

-Poseidon xstream Duration

All jokes aside: I think any of these choices would work; but i'd steer away from the mk2's r195 if you don't have money issues. (not because of reliability, but because of comfort)

I would love too.

Just go used and have it serviced. I got a set of MK17/G260 for US180 a couple of months ago.
Keep in mind you deco/stage regs WILL get scratched - dropping a bottle at the shore as you get in before you clip it off, hitting it against as you swim, it happens. Do not get a beauty that you will regret later putting on a stage. My stage ones are all mk20/25/2 that all have scars :) I personally prefer pistons as they can tolerate flood better but mk17 is also ok as you can reuse the diaphragm if you need to open and clean it.

Just go used and have it serviced. I got a set of MK17/G260 for US180 a couple of months ago.
Keep in mind you deco/stage regs WILL get scratched - dropping a bottle at the shore as you get in before you clip it off, hitting it against as you swim, it happens. Do not get a beauty that you will regret later putting on a stage. My stage ones are all mk20/25/2 that all have scars :) I personally prefer pistons as they can tolerate flood better but mk17 is also ok as you can reuse the diaphragm if you need to open and clean it.

Actually I had mk17 Evo and I still own mk17 paired with x650, to be honest I love mk17 most amongst all the regulators I have used. My only concern is what if two composite diaphragms and 100 percent oxygen doesn’t get along well?

I don't know if someone mentioned but Apex DS1 looks like a dedicated stage bottle reg. And attach a preferred second stage.

Actually I had mk17 Evo and I still own mk17 paired with x650, to be honest I love mk17 most amongst all the regulators I have used. My only concern is what if two composite diaphragms and 100 percent oxygen doesn’t get along well?
Yeah for 100% mk17 will noy be my first choice. ut are you starting with 100% right away? If your first dives involve 50% mk17 would be no issue. Sl I would just use what you have now practice with it and later get another reg based on what you learn. You will end up having more regs for sure if you start doing deco. I started with one and now have four. Use your mk17 /x650 for now, later get a used mk2 - you can get them for US100 oftentimes and have it rebuilt and move your x650 there. Then find another used second stage and here you have another set for your bottom stage !

Yeah for 100% mk17 will noy be my first choice. ut are you starting with 100% right away? If your first dives involve 50% mk17 would be no issue. Sl I would just use what you have now practice with it and later get another reg based on what you learn. You will end up having more regs for sure if you start doing deco. I started with one and now have four. Use your mk17 /x650 for now, later get a used mk2 - you can get them for US100 oftentimes and have it rebuilt and move your x650 there. Then find another used second stage and here you have another set for your bottom stage !
I have 3 sets of MK17/G250v deco and stage regs. I have over 50 deco dives this year with a MK17 connected to my 100% 02 bottle. Where/why on the first stage are you experiencing an issue with the MK17 on 100% 02?

I have 3 sets of MK17/G250v deco and stage regs. I have over 50 deco dives this year with a MK17 connected to my 100% 02 bottle. Where/why on the first stage are you experiencing an issue with the MK17 on 100% 02?
I use MK2 on my O2. My worry using mk17 on 100% is a lot of fuel (diaphragm) exposed to pure O2. Do you have the 17 rebuilt with a regular kit?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom