Preferred Underwater Signaling Device

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use a low pressure horn with the dual above and below water horn. I've actually made noise with it a half a dozen times but it's nice to know it's there and functioning in case I need it. Most times I can get my buddy's attention with an arm wave though.

LD-35, works great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Tank bangers are cheap, fairly durable and do the job for me.

Richard.

Agreed. I know where the tank banger hate comes from and get it but for me, it makes no sense to preach the need for a surface signaling devices and blast those that carry the equivalent under water. I dive with a tank banger because it makes sense to be able to 'annoy' other divers if the need arose. I use a light tap of a swivel-snap to grab my buddies attention if needed. We practice good buddy skills but that doesn't mean we have eye contact the whole dive. I can have a staring contest with my buddy on dry land for free and sometimes stuff comes up underwater.

Keep a tank banger, use it with prudence and move on.

Nothing. Proper buddy technique means we don't need gimmicks like tank bangers, noisemakers, or air horns that annoy other divers and scare marine life. If you need to you can tap on your tank with a knife or other hard object. But if you find yourself doing this on a regular basis you and your buddy need to work on your buddy skills.
A light is a good device. Quiet, easy to see at night and in low vis, and does not annoy others or the fish.
On another note as a newer diver you should never be far enough away from your buddy to need a noisemaker to get his/her attention.
This...

Noise makers have there place, I appreciated the other diver who alerted everyone when the great hammer head was circling, but too often noise makers get used for too insignificant or mundane reasons, such as ooh another lobster, looky looky!
However, if he didn't the hammerhead might have come closer to have a better look at what kinda weird fish was splashing about...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom