Pregnant and Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

avalverde

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So I have been getting mixed theories on diving in early pregnancies. I'm 14 weeks. Does anyone have any input?? Trying to do one last shallow dive before getting HUGE!

Since there are so many unknowns in this and the likelihood that there probably are very real risks involved I would definitely advise anybody that is pregnant against diving until they have carried the baby to term. El Orans' post above should point you in the right direction for more medical reasons, but as for me - I'm a little paranoid; a characteristic that's saved my bacon too many times to keep count anymore.

Welcome to the Board sbtw! :coffee:

Last I heard, you can't even shave your legs if pregnant.

The only tings I have ever read that advocated diving while preagnant represented denial or rationalization. Knowing that I can't imagine any joy in such a dive. Skin-diving is another story.

Pete

I'm a cardiologist, not an OB/Gyn but I've been on faculty at dive medicine meetings with my friend, Maida Taylor, who is a diving medicine expert AND an OB/Gyn. She STRONGLY feels that there is no place for scuba diving once a woman finds out she is pregnant. There is very little data on the subject but there are some horror stories (all anecdotes and not true research!) of instances of birth defects that don't follow usual patterns and possibly suggest a relationship to a "bubble" injury of the fetus.

There is very little data on the subject

Bingo, there are zero double-blind studies putting pregnant into hyperbaric chambers and examining the effect of pressures that I have heard of. I'm pretty sure that if someone suggested such a study they would get a very cool reception.

I imagine DAN and other agencies would avoid such a study with a 7 foot hose.

Yeah look at some of the people on here. See how they turned out!( or maybe they got dropped on their heads) Seriously though I'd never let my wife dive pregnant. Too many if's and unknowns. As an instructor I'd never accept a pregnant student.

I'm a cardiologist, not an OB/Gyn but I've been on faculty at dive medicine meetings with my friend, Maida Taylor, who is a diving medicine expert AND an OB/Gyn. She STRONGLY feels that there is no place for scuba diving once a woman finds out she is pregnant. There is very little data on the subject but there are some horror stories (all anecdotes and not true research!) of instances of birth defects that don't follow usual patterns and possibly suggest a relationship to a "bubble" injury of the fetus.

Those were my thoughts. The pressures shouldn't be such a big deal (although I don't believe it's been studied) since it's "water in water" for the fetus. I think the bigger problem is the absorption of bubbles in a fetus's tiny vasculature, as well as the unknown rates due to stages of development. It's not worth the risk. And I wouldn't count on seeing any studies any time soon. Who's going to volunteer for that one with their unborn child?

Shane

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom