Prerequisite First Aid Qualification for Diver Stress and Rescue Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NightFox

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm looking to do the SSI Diver Stress & Rescue course on holiday abroad this year (not sure where yet), but I know that I need a valid first aid certificate prior to taking the course, which I intend to sort out whilst still home in the UK. Trouble is, I can't work out what first aid courses are going to be appropriate and which aren't - even the SSI site says different things in different places. I know I'll need CPR which I can cover off with a £45 Red Cross course, but I've seen some places saying that it has to include oxygen administration, which is a more expensive "professional" course. I don't want to spend money on a course only to turn up on holiday and be told it's not acceptable and not be able to do my S&R course.

The way my instructor had the course set up, I needed first-aid, AED, O2 provider, and CPR. The easiest way for me to do that was the SSI React Right course. It may have been a bit more expensive but we covered a lot in a shorter period of time.

first aid and cpr are required. your cert must have been done within the last 2 years. red cross should be fine. i would check with the shop you are doing it with to make sure they will accept it. no reason they shouldn't.

O2 is not required by ssi standards. it is only recommended. however, some shops may ask that you do it if they wish to exceed ssi minimum standards.

Take the SSI React Right course and you will have no problems. Its a very good course and if you are going through SSI all your bases are covered. If you choose the Red Cross course make sure it has CPR, First Aid, O2 provider and AED, make sure its stated on the certification card they give you. If you don't know how to administer Oxygen, why take a Rescue Course?

i can only assume the reason O2 is not a requirement is that because "most" recreational level divers would not have O2 with them on a dive site so there would be no need to have the cert. at the pro level of course we would never be at a dive site without it and are required to have the O2 provider cert.

Back
Top Bottom