Prescription mask or Contact lenses?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Idahoan

New
Reaction score
# of dives
I am training to dive. I currently wear low-prescription distance glasses, and have never worn contacts. Is it better to get a prescription mask or to start wearing contacts?

Also, some websites make prescription masks as low as $50 (Snorkel-Mart) and others with a base price of $260 (Prescription Dive Masks). Is there much difference between them? Is it the same with non-prescription masks?

I really appreciate your help as I am setting out on this new adventure.

The main issue with contact lens is you may lose them if your mask floods. I use a prescription mask. With a mask you can get a full ground glass prescription lens or glue ins.

I started out with "Mares X Vision Lens" with x-vision Liquidmask; they are not exactly prescription because they come in ½ diopters but they get close enough. Now I prefer to wear my contact lens with regular mask because it is convenient. The "prescription" mask is my backup.

If you decide to go with your contact lens, you have a nice variety to choose from. You can also get really nice masks for not a lot of money. Case in point is my favorite Aeris Recon on Leisurepro for $20.

Last edited:
I prefer contacts because it means you can see without your mask. It's more of a hassle for me to swap between glasses and a mask when I'm going between the waterline and my car. I also have a heavy prescription for distance so looking through my glasses distorts my peripheral vision where as contacts gives me 20/20 no matter where my eyes are pointed.

Since you have never worn contacts the question for you would be, do you want to start wearing them outside of diving. You'll be spending about $200 yearly for a set of contacts, and that's usually around the minimum amount depending on brand and place of purchase. Then there's the multipurpose solution and eye drops. Even the daily wears should get a rinseout because the preservative solution in the package tends to be harsh on your eyes.

Additionally contacts should be worn no longer than 14hours, with most brands recommending 12 hours max. So once you get home after a day of work, it's usually time to switch to glasses. They do make contacts that you can sleep with, but that has it's own health issues with your eyes. Talk with your eye doctor to learn about your options.

That's all on top of your glasses prescription should your prescription be unstable and you have to upgrade.
Compared with a prescription mask and possibility of a one time fee(assuming it's not lost to the ocean), plus your low prescription, I say that route looks more financially appealing.

I prefer contacts because it means you can see without your mask. It's more of a hassle for me to swap between glasses and a mask when I'm going between the waterline and my car. I also have a heavy prescription for distance so looking through my glasses distorts my peripheral vision where as contacts gives me 20/20 no matter where my eyes are pointed. Since you have never worn contacts the question for you would be, do you want to start wearing them outside of diving. You'll be spending about $200 yearly for a set of contacts, and that's usually around the minimum amount depending on brand and place of purchase. Then there's the multipurpose solution and eye drops. Even the daily wears should get a rinseout because the preservative solution in the package tends to be harsh on your eyes. Additionally contacts should be worn no longer than 14hours, with most brands recommending 12 hours max. So once you get home after a day of work, it's usually time to switch to glasses. They do make contacts that you can sleep with, but that has it's own health issues with your eyes. Talk with your eye doctor to learn about your options. That's all on top of your glasses prescription should your prescription be unstable and you have to upgrade. Compared with a prescription mask and possibility of a one time fee(assuming it's not lost to the ocean), plus your low prescription, I say that route looks more financially appealing.
If you did go with contacts you might be able to get away with one box lasting a year. It could cost you less than $30 delivered from online. For a while I did this, I would only wear my contact lenses when diving. I would carry the rest of the box on the boat in case something untoward happened. From what I have heard (but never tested) the water pressure should keep the contacts on your eyes, you might want to get rid of them afterwards though so you don't contract anything bad.

That is going to be a personal choice for you but I can tell you that I much prefer contacts. But I have been wearing them for 30 + years. There is a great variety available in contacts so I am sure they can find something that suits you. And if you only use them diving, just buy one box as rambaldi suggested.

I have used the 30 day contacts that you can sleep in but rarely did. I now use a contact that is OK to occasionally wear overnight. If you do plan to use diving only, I think daily disposable would be ideal, no need to clean or store.

For those of us with age related near vision problems, I use different strengths in each eye. Dominant eye for far vision, and a lower prescription in the other eye for near Visio. Takes a little getting use too but it does work.

I recently went from glue-in lenses to bifocal contacts, and I couldn't be happier. I'm 55, and never wore contacts before. Like another of the posters, it was really annoying to not be able to see (my uncorrected vision borders on needing a cane and dog) between wearing glasses and mask -- either on dive boats or from car to shore and back. I should add that, because of some oddities, I had to go with gas permeable hard lenses rather than soft ones. Took a bit more getting used to, but not a major hassle. One main benefit is that you don't have to buy a "supply" -- I just have one pair plus a spare and they should last for years.

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Almost every mask they sell now a days, has [/FONT]lenses[FONT=arial, sans-serif] that the store can supply that will fit in your mask. Did you try to use the[/FONT] cressi focus mask?

I hated contacts for diving. If you have a relatively common prescription, like I do, you may well be able to find a mask all set up and ready to go at a reasonable price. I bought a pair of them for $10.00 at the end of the Long Beach Dive show a couple of years ago and they are perfect for me. Yes, $10.00 for a pair of them not per mask. Best deal I have ever found in scuba.

I dive with contact lenses. Just a lot easier and less hassle. Just like mblazer, I have gas permeable lenses but I usually get the disposable lenses when I got diving. Wear and toss. Easy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom