Presidente Press Release - They're Upgrading!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NadMat:
I'm with you gorden, they had the tvs in room, but cable was down still (last dec) and only thought I had about tvs was that I could use them as monitor for laptop, but no svid connection on them. I didn't miss the TV at all, much better to sit on patio downstairs (where I could connect to wireless net) and email pics back home to make buddies jealous while having a leon negro and occasionally a good cuban after returning from dinner in town.

Yo tam bien. I don't smoke, but Leon Negra is my beer of choice on Cozumel. My traditional first errand upon arrival is to cab it up to Servi Playa to stock the cooler. Chedraui used to have a better deal on LN, but they don't stock it any more.

ggunn:
Yo tam bien. I don't smoke, but Leon Negra is my beer of choice on Cozumel. My traditional first errand upon arrival is to cab it up to Servi Playa to stock the cooler. Chedraui used to have a better deal on LN, but they don't stock it any more.
I usually grabbed a six on way home from dinner in some little shop just off the square, not sure the name, but good prices on beer. And I don't smoke much, gave up cigarettes a long time a go when saw what they were doing to SAC rate and general fitness, but still like to have at least one good cuban when diving caribbean locations. I figure that that harms my lungs less than a bike commute in Austin traffic :wink:

Was reading my post before posting it and saw that I had used 'home' to refer to Caribe Blu, shows you how hooked I am :)

scubawife:
I spent lots of time in Isla Mujeres in the 90's ...then the SCUBA addiction took hold and we headed south to Cozumel and Akumal. Isla is a great little place but the diving is no where near as good as Cozumel. It's also seen alot of development in recent years

An old dive buddy and his wife still go there. He did not really care for Coz. Coz is my second home and I have close friends there ,but there are more personal reasions for for me to head to Isla M.

Ron

Ron Brandt:
An old dive buddy and his wife still go there. He did not really care for Coz. Coz is my second home and I have close friends there ,but there are more personal reasions for for me to head to Isla M.

Ron

You will LOVE Isla! It's sort of a mini-me version of Coz. It's a fun place and being small it's very managable. Rent a golf cart and you can scoot around the whole island. These are good sites for lsla Mujeres info - www.isla-mujeres.net/home.htm www.islamujeres.info www.isladiveguide.com

I've seen this "upscale trend" coming for a few years now, starting with La Ceiba turning time share & as I've pointed out before, divers are NOT their target audience, Plaza la Glorias, now the 5 star A.I. Cozumel Palace & now, the Presedente which was the only 5 star hotel on the island in the past is now stepping it up a notch to attact a more high end crowd. Wilma being the catalist to move some of these plans forward sooner than originally planned of course.

Kinda seems like the "powers that be" at these resort companies are overlooking the avarage Cozumel visitor, the working stiff scraping up money and time to have a week or two's vacation doing the thing he enjoys most, diving. That's why we go there.

I just hope this trend doesn't eventually price the rest of us out of going to Coz. Turning it into another St. Barts, a movie/rock star hang out.

I can only hope that our "small hotel" operators will hold in there and keep thier prices reasonable. Hey, call me paranoid, but I've already been priced out of my long-time Cozumel home once, I don't want to see it happen to anyone else.

Didn't this downhill slide into "civilization" start with the first stop light?:D

sharky60:
Didn't this downhill slide into "civilization" start with the first stop light?:D

No, it started when they quit letting us snorkel in the lagoon at Chankanaab! ;^)

ggunn:
No, it started when they quit letting us snorkel in the lagoon at Chankanaab! ;^)

See, I knew it was a comspiracy!:14:

sharky60:
See, I knew it was a comspiracy!:14:

Sharky, I usually stay at the Presidente and I NEVER pay even close to full price. If you come between May and August, the rates are lower. Tell them that you want the " Industry Rate " on the room because you work in the hotel business. It is a cheaper rate. You must talk directly with the hotel to do this. Get the cheapest room they have. Then you join Intercontinental Hotels Priority Club " Gold Ambassador " for 150.00 and that will get you a free upgrade to a nicer room plus one free night as long as you stay over the weekend. Then I fly to Cozumel on frequent flyer miles and that also saves a lot of money. You dont have to spend full price if you work at it a little.

Mawg:
Tell them that you want the " Industry Rate " on the room because you work in the hotel business.

Me I tell whatever shop I've decided to stop in, usually one without a hagler out front that I want the: "I'm staying on here (again) price, not the "I just jumped off the latest cruse ship price."

As for a hotel, I now know where to go to get a good deal, unless my senoria bonita want's AI for the kid :wink:

James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom