Pressure Maintaining Valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Miyaru

Technical instructor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I recently bought a PMV for my mobile compressor: Coltri MCH13/16.

After installation I tested the PMV and I came to the conclusion that the "M" in PMV was missing. The only pressure it's maintaining after a few hours is 1 bar, the other 139 bar leaked out.

So I took the thing apart. Looks like it's a metal-on-metal connection, no teflon in between to seal anything. How's this supposed to work, what did I do wrong/forget and who can guide me in the right direction?

pmv1.jpg pmv2.jpg
(teflon ring in 2nd picture is not part of the PMV)

Not to be insulting with this question, but did you verify you put it in with flow in the correct direction?

There are a ton of ****** PMVs on the market. I had several of the Aqua Environments brand ones that leaked. By far the best one I've used is the Lawrence Factor one. It is a little pricey, but it is built like a tank and just works all the time.

The metal on metal is quite normal for this type of valve. What is maintaining the pressure on the other side of the filtration tower, is there a one-way valve somewhere.

Not to be insulting with this question, but did you verify you put it in with flow in the correct direction?
Yes Sir, I did. Air comes in on top, goes out through the 2 sideholes.
The metal on metal is quite normal for this type of valve. What is maintaining the pressure on the other side of the filtration tower, is there a one-way valve somewhere.
compressor -> oneway valve -> filter housings -> PMV -> lever valves.

Yes Sir, I did. Air comes in on top, goes out through the 2 sideholes.

compressor -> oneway valve -> filter housings -> PMV -> lever valves.
Then there is a leak somewhere so a little detective work is in order. I have read that the PMV valve can be reseated by lightly tapping the ball with a brass rod that will fit through the opening but I have not needed to do this myself so don't know if it works. If after investigation you determine the source is the PMV then replacement parts are readily available.:
Back Pressure Repair Kit - August Industries Inc.
Time to get out the soap solution.

Just a thought, where are you measuring the pressure?

Just a thought, where are you measuring the pressure?
At home, in the hallway next to the bathroom.
Screenshot_20200506-203956_Gallery.jpg

This is my little detective work.

The idea of ordering new parts for a brand new item is not that appealing.
I already modified a one-way-valve successfully with a teflon o-ring, currently testing the pmv with a tiny teflon ring between the ball and seat. Looks way better so far.

I recently bought a PMV for my mobile compressor: Coltri MCH13/16.

After installation I tested the PMV and I came to the conclusion that the "M" in PMV was missing. The only pressure it's maintaining after a few hours is 1 bar, the other 139 bar leaked out.

That's pretty funny, heck its better than that funniest thing I have read about compressors so far on this forum.

Now an explanation is no way near as funny but the best I can do.
When Coltri decided finally to offer a BPR to the small compressor range they copied someone else's design. Now the drawback with copying is that you copy both the good parts of the design and the bad parts, problem is you don't know which is what or indeed how to fix it or alter the performance as you never knew in the first place what the original required design features were.

It's a cheap Italian copy its cheap, it does a job without a design performance but near enough that most users would'nt know or even care the difference.

Now a leak rate in a BPR can be a common part of the design. It's the application in scuba compressors that's the problem.

To get a flow you need a pressure drop and a requirement is you may want to avoid these massive pressure drops or the subsequent disruption of the filter chemical bed and shock loading to the compressor of an explosive pressure blast wave at sonic speed as the BPR goes from fully sealed no flow condition to a pedal to the metal explosive pressure blast fully open condition that is better avoided in the design than compensated for with additional heavy metal and shorter service life expectancy.

In scuba applications small diameter filter tubes although cheap to manufacture are also very susceptible to filter chemical disruption and the smaller the cartrige tube diameter the compressor has the greater the leak rate required from the BPR. Same for oil suction up off the piston rings as the rapid loss of pressure from the piston draws up oil from under the rings as the BPR blast its contents out down the pipework.

The LF BPR also has that same inherent problem as in its design one second its all sealed while the next its a blast wave as the thing opens, then re seals again with the massive pressure drop only to open again and again as this blast stop/start eventually resides when the pressure downstream eventually reached the BPR spring balance and it stays open to flow.

I know that sounds complicated but I'm an engineer not a teacher. I know it shows LOL

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom