Pressure vs. Skull

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just Curious

Registered
Reaction score
I've posted a similar question elsewhere, but I figured I'd try somewhere else as well.
I understand that the pressure underwater at great depths would cause arteries to burts, sinuses to rupture, and lungs to collapse and therefore disabling a diver to continue down (might be hard to swim with and aneurism and collapsed lungs) but if hypothetically all other systems remained functional, how deep would one have to go before the pressure was great enough to crush the skull?
There is absolutely no practical application to the answer of this question, I'm just looking to compare some numbers.

Just Curious:
I've posted a similar question elsewhere, but I figured I'd try somewhere else as well.
I understand that the pressure underwater at great depths would cause arteries to burts, sinuses to rupture, and lungs to collapse and therefore disabling a diver to continue down (might be hard to swim with and aneurism and collapsed lungs) but if hypothetically all other systems remained functional, how deep would one have to go before the pressure was great enough to crush the skull?
There is absolutely no practical application to the answer of this question, I'm just looking to compare some numbers.

I am no physicist but I was under the impression that since the body is largely incompressible that the effect of pressure would only affect the air spaces, and as long as your breathing gas was at ambient pressure then that wouldn't be a problem either. After all fish can be found at great depths and they don't have crushed skulls.

(Of course if we are talking of depths of thousands of metres then the main problem would be that there is no suitable breathing gas that would allow a human to survive...unless you were talking about the effects of pressure on a dead body?)

The concept of "crush depth" has more of a foundation in differential pressure than absolute pressure - like the differnce in pressure between the surroundings and the internals of an object - whether a skull or a submarine. As someone pointed out in the other thread, with the human body being mostly water, and water being a pretty fair representation of a Newtonian fluid, probably very, very, deep - and we may never know. A submarine at one atmosphere absolute pressure inside experiences increasing differential pressure as it descends - difference between outside absolute pressure and inside absolute pressure.

It wonl't happen, unless you can create a delta in presure between the sides of the skull. That wonl't happen unless you take the head off someone and seal up all the holes.

Here a troll, there a troll, everywhere a troll troll.

Just like you don't explode in space - you don't get crushed at depth.

Hollywood hates educated viewers.

This gets my vote as the best new Thread title in awhile.

Pressure Vs. Skull

Sounds like a WWE Pay per view thing, to me.

K

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom