Pressure vs. Skull

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Theskull.......... How long have you waited for that? Very funny.

Some times the planets just line up with the stars. . . and the joke finally fits!!

theskull

Glad to give you such a perfect opportunity. By the way, I really would like to see that fight.

*and so in spinning we find we have merely gotten dizzy*

It's really no competition. As long as the pressure is equal on both sides of the equation all is fine. And the voices inside my skull create a lot of pressure to offset that of the several hundred feet of water above me.

theskull

Just Curious:
I understand that the pressure underwater at great depths would cause arteries to burts, sinuses to rupture, and lungs to collapse and therefore disabling a diver to continue down (might be hard to swim with and aneurism and collapsed lungs) but if hypothetically all other systems remained functional, how deep would one have to go before the pressure was great enough to crush the skull?

Please, watch other movies, ones that are more correct from a scientific point of view (whereas in movies heads use to explode I haven't seen this in practice (fortunatelly))

:eek:fftopic:

BTW In 'The Abyss' divers use breathing apparatus that fills the lungs with some oxygenated fluid so they can dive to incredible depths. I once got a question from a student who asked me if I knew more about the liquid stuff. I gave the about the same answer as above. However, I recently read something similar really exists :xeye: ! Not used for diving, but in medicine. To keep the alveoli open or so, I am not sure....

Oygenated fluorocarbons are pumped thrugh the lungs of severe burn victims and premature infants.

It isn't used very often as a medical treatment, but it does exist.

Ref: http://www.scienceweb.org/movies/abyss.html

JimC:
It wonl't happen, unless you can create a delta in presure between the sides of the skull. That wonl't happen unless you take the head off someone and seal up all the holes.

Silicone

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom