Prestige mrs plus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wantonmien

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Greetings Mares,

Having obtained AOW last year and taken advise, I bought a PRESTIGE MRS PLUS BCD, with the two trim weight pockets at rear, and two intergrated weight slide in pockets/sleeves on the front.

BCD feels comfortable, preforms well and I'm used to wearing it, however the release of the front weight pocket/sleve I feel is far too easy to the extent it is a design fault, such that when diving, a slight knock on the 'red' front pull, or slight brush on a rock or similar and the weight pocket sleeve will unfasten and quickly slide out. If not noticed at the time and retrieved, the accidental dumping of weights will of course lead to unexpected buoyancy / safety hazard for the diver, and later expense in replacement.

I'm not a clumsy diver, nor bump into rocks or people, nor dive overweighted (infact use total 6 kg with 1kg in each rear trim pockets 2kg in each front sleeve) but on last dive of several over the weekend having swum through a fairly tight channel and slightly touching rocks to side and bottom, out fell a sleeve pocket with 2kg in it, to rapidly disappear into a crevice and be gone for ever ~ leaving me more buoyant than I wanted at 15 m depth, and of course struggling to control ascent with an adequate safety stop.

This is the third time one of my front sleeves has accidentally fallen out, and on dives over the past few months I have picked up an indentical sleeve with weights inside that anther person had lost ~ so can I suggest you are selling a BCD with an inherant design fault ?

I'm am now considering abandoning use of the sleeves with my Mares BCD, and reverting to a weight belt, or replacing my BCD with another brand - however perhaps you can offer me a solution in the way of improved sleeves that do not release and fall out so easily !

Regards

Last edited:
Mares,

If this forum is meant to be one where we can get feedback on Mares products, how come not a single comment/response to my criticism of the PRESTIGE MRS PLUS BCD I use, and the 'drop out with too much ease' weight sleeves ?

Is it a common problem that no one will comment on incase it starts a debate ?

Give Zak some time. He is very good about responding here.

Hi, Sorry for the delay. I recommend you take this to an authorized Mares dealer, preferrably the one you purchased it from. They should be more than happy to help you work this out. The store should be able to determine if this bcd is releasing the weight pockets too easily. They can then determine if this is a warranty issue. Generally speaking if they are fully engaged into the sleeve and you hear a click, they shouldn't just be falling out with a subtle bump. We will be happy to honor any warranty issues if they are valid.

If there is something else I can help you with, please drop me a note.

Thanks,

Zak,

Thanks for response. BCD is back with my instructor (McGill) over here, and he is discussing checking it out directly with the Mares rep in Taipei, so between then hopefully it will be sorted somehow.

I left a 2kg weight in the sleeve before handing the BCD over, as without weight the clip secures the sleeve pretty well, but with weight for sure release is too easy.

I'll let you know when issue is resolved, as I'm sure it will be.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom