Pride

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I had any pride left, I would have hung myself with my underwear in the locker room...

This has to be the funniest thing on the whole board. I literally spit bourbon all over my Macbook when I read this! I just finished wiping it off.

Last edited:
I am with you. I once considered pride, but tonight, in the gym, I took my first spinning class. As an avid cyclist I thought it would be easy.

Until the woman teaching, close to twice my age, smoked my butt like Jimmy Dean smokes his sausage. If I had any pride left, I would have hung myself with my underwear in the locker room.

Don't let it get you down... she's a spinner, not necessarily a cyclist... spinning don't mean jack when it's time to climb, or when you are dodging through traffic and bunny hopping potholes. I know a lot of spinners who can't ride at all, let alone well.

I am old, slow and fat, and I can still outride half the spinners I know out in real life...

Spinning is great for fitness, but it isn't cycling.

Just a question : do you take greater pride in who you are as a diver, or your profession/work ?
Neither. I avoid pride whenever possible - no good can come of it - not for me anyway.

Besides, I've got nothing to be proud of anyway.
I'd have to agree. Pride in one's self is often the first step toward arrogance. I think I'll just stick with my work and being a diver both have given me reasons to feel a sense of accomplishment and avoid that whole pride mess.

I have been in Radiology for almost 20 yrs and have never regretted my decsion, I love it and am good at my job. However, in the 2 yrs I have been diving, I have done incredible things and have had the pleasure of not just seeing sharks, but being in the water with them and actually swimming beside them! I have met some of the most incredible people in the diving community, and I have been embraced by them as if I were family! Who could of imagined that I am part of such an amazing group of people and that is what I am most proud of! In all my travels throughout my life, I think I have actually found my soul in the underwater world!

Carolyn:shark2:

Well I'm working to become a scientific diver, so hopefully in a couple years I'll be able to take pride in my work and diving equally because I'll be diving for work. :D

I interpret the question as asking what defines your identity more, your work or diving.

For me, it's definitely diving, but that's not the only thing that defines my identity, just more than my work. Other things that define my identity are my other hobbies and activities and rolls I play in life. It's a big package and diving is an important part of that.

Earlier in my career that was different. My career was more important to me when I was younger, so it changes over time.

One thing is for sure, I like my job enough to keep doing it (although I don't think it has much societal value as Lynne put it) but if I had all the money in the world I would retire tomorrow so I could dive more....and that says enough.

R..

Like many other medical professionals, I take pride in knowing that if I'm lucky, I may can make a positive difference in someones day, and if I'm not, I can go diving and forget about it till tomorrow.

Safe diving,

Kenny

I'm so glad many of you have pointed out that pride is not a positive thing. Nationalistic as well as individual pride is at a minimum counterproductive and at worst destructive.

But if the OP means what is more important in my life, I would say diving. I'm a noob, but after my recent trip to Cozumel, Belize, and Roatan I have cemented my certainty that this will be part of my live as long as I'm breathing. I only with I'd started earlier *sigh*

I take pride in both. And I don't shy away from the term "pride" just becuase it's a Judeo-Christian no-no.

At work, I strive to make sure that every patient who enters my unit has the best care possible. In diving, I am proud that I am doing an activity that MOST other people only dream of doing.

I take pride in both my job and my diving. However, I think I am in no danger of becoming arrogant as all I have to do is look around and I see people who are better/more experienced at my job and at diving. I hope that this only causes me to strive to be better at all I do. That being said, both bring extreme pleasure at times, and both have caused great stress and challenges in my life. The gratitude I have received from some patients has brought tears to my eyes, and the beauty and serenity I have seen in the deep have touched my heart in the most profound way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom