Prilosec and diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...I have used Prilosec (omeprazole), Prevacid (lansoprazole) and Protonix (pantoprazole), and they all dehydrate me but do not give me diarrhea. My doctor was not aware of that side-effect either, but the symptoms were headache (relieved by drinking lots and lots of water), extreme dry mouth, and abnormally high red and white blood counts (indicating too little water in the blood). I have since switched to Pepcid Complete (famotodine, calcium carbonate, and magnesium hydroxide), which still dehydrates me but to a lesser degree.

Hi JohnB47,

Pepcid Complete contains no proton pump inhibitor. "Famotidine" is histamine blocker and works differently than PPIs. It interefers with one of the first stimuli for acid production, while proton pump inhibitors block the final step in the pathway of acid secretion in the stomach. Headache and dry mouth are occasionally reported as side effects, but not dehydration in the absence of diarrhea or vomiting.

In any event, it's good that you have found a solution to your seemingly somewhat idiosyncratic reaction to these medications.

Regards,

DocVikingo

Back
Top Bottom