Primary hose length suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can deploy a hose bungied to your tank just as fast... sometimes faster if you arent as practiced... I found that when i was doing the course when i tried having it wrapped around me and the time came to deploy it, because i was less practiced a bit nervous I got it hooked on my head and didnt have the motion down pat.. it may be a better method for some people, or perhaps for more experienced people but I found that with it bungied to my tank it was easy to pass off quickly to the person needing it and then a quick tug that lasted less time than it took the person to take their first breath deployed the hose completely.... Its all in preference i guess

-not to mention to go back to the basics of diving (though i would hope this wouldnt happen in advanced tech diving its always possible..) If someone is desperate for air they are likely to just rip the reg out of your mouth.. if its wrapped around your neck that may not be so easy... I mean this hypothetically of course.... **** happens

Deployment issues aside, you're now no longer donating the reg that you're breathing, so an OOA diver could potentially grab or be given a non-working reg, or worse, one with a gas lethal for the depth you're at.

Tank bungee is quite common here and it works fine for deployment. Only reason i dont like it is its impossible to restow after deployment (S-drill used to inflate a bag or any reason).

-not to mention to go back to the basics of diving (though i would hope this wouldnt happen in advanced tech diving its always possible..) If someone is desperate for air they are likely to just rip the reg out of your mouth.. if its wrapped around your neck that may not be so easy... I mean this hypothetically of course.... **** happens

It's very possible in tech diving, in my inexperienced opinion, and the quality of your partner may have nothing to do with it. Consider a tech dive onto a site shared with rec divers. For example, a wreck at 90' serviced by multiple charters. You may be "tech" because you are doing an extended bottom time, but another diver from another charter could be doing their first independent deep dive in a rental kit.

They get separated from their buddy, start to hyperventilate, and even though their reg is functional, they perceive difficulty breathing it, so they panic. Just as this happens you glide past them smoothly, working reg in your mouth.

Snatch! Grab!!

Addressing the issue of it wrapped around your neck, I have never had someone grab my primary in the field, but some buddies and I practice sneaking up on each other in the pool and helping ourselves to our buddy's reg.

if you are vertical in the water it may not be comfortable, but if you are flat in the water it will hopefully slip over your head as you duck. I suspect that while there is no perfect system for handling a panicked diver, practice with a long hose primary will help.

JM2C. We all know that the plural of anecdote is not data. Also, see my .sig :)

Why wouldn't you practice deploying the long hose? That's not a reason, IMO, its an excuse.

As long as we aren't dive buddies, I really don't have an opinion one way or the other (or even if you use the octo and snorkel configuration taught in most OW classes), but whatever method you are using should be practiced regularly until its second nature.

BTW, anyone that thinks the hose is wrapped around the neck isn't doing it correctly, its worth having someone with experience in wrapping the long hose to show you how its supposed to be done.

Deployment issues aside, you're now no longer donating the reg that you're breathing, so an OOA diver could potentially grab or be given a non-working reg, or worse, one with a gas lethal for the depth you're at.

The hose bungied to the tank IS the reg I breathe off. So yes, it is the one being donated to the OOA diver...

The hose bungied to the tank IS the reg I breathe off. So yes, it is the one being donated to the OOA diver...

So are you simply describing how you stow a long hose on your primary reg as opposed to how a different reg and hose is stowed?

I found that when i was doing the course when i tried having it wrapped around me and the time came to deploy it, because i was less practiced a bit nervous I got it hooked on my head and didnt have the motion down pat.. .

So, like anything in diving, you can practice again until it's second nature....

The biggest drawback IMO is the difficulty in re-stowing it.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom