princeton lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hotsoup631

Registered
Reaction score
Princeton Tec offers a "Ultimate Dive Light kit" which contains a shockwave II, surge, and sea star. Anyone with experience with these products? Is it worth buying the package or buying other lights?

I actually just got off the phone with Princeton Tec because of the Surge from that kit. I don't know if this is a good review or a bad review, but here's my story:

I bought that kit, but the Surge in it only worked for 10 seconds. I lit it up in my living room and shook it (for whatever reason a person shakes a lit flashlight) and heard a snap. The light was broke. I called Princeton and was told, "no biggie, return the light and we'll have it back to you in about two weeks."

I did, and they did, but it still didn't work. So I just called them and described what happened. The guy I talked to says, "The easiest thing to do is just replace the bit that sounds broke." So he's sending the entire inside of the light, no charge.

All through this I've been happily using the Shockwave, which I love. And the Sea Star, which I'm just happy it stays out of the way. I can't wait until the Surge is working because it is just the right size and is very comfortable to hold.

So, in short, kindof a hasle, but the ones that worked without a hitch are great lights they get a big up on CS.

I've been told the Surge came out with a batch of bad switches. I have had excellant luck with Prin Tec lights and currently have 5 of them.

As far as the set. If you NEED all the lights now, and if the package costs less than it would to buy all separately, then its a good deal. If you don't need all the lights now, well...

MD

Q: If buying the Princeton Shockwave II as your primary light, is the surge a good backup light or could you use something smaller as a backup?

Basically if you buy the Shockwave II and the Surge.. you are getting the strobe for free. I am just comtemplating what to buy before I go for my AOW.

Hooked4Life once bubbled...
Q: If buying the Princeton Shockwave II as your primary light, is the surge a good backup light or could you use something smaller as a backup?

Basically if you buy the Shockwave II and the Surge.. you are getting the strobe for free. I am just comtemplating what to buy before I go for my AOW.

IMO the Surge is an excellant backup, and would serve as a good primary for shallower/good vis dives as well. I think alot of people do overkill on lights, even at night. Its generally nice to have a primary that has a good flood, with a hot spot for highlighting something. IMO the backup should be a good, bright narrow bean. This gives the ability to look further into places, use as an underwater signal, and gives good distance should you need it to signal on the surface.

MD

No complaints here. Get both! My buddy/son prefers the smaller Surge. I carry the big one. Both are bright, adequate for seeing true colors at depth and for spotting critters in crevices before/or as they see you and hide. The big difference seems to be the battery life, beam width somewhat --but not an issue. Each buddy having one cuts down on sharing, dropping, outages, etc., and serves as safety for obvious reasons at nightime and/or during separation at sea.
...Hint: We secured lights to bottom end of BC with quick-lok and to upper BC SS clip via retractible holder and avoided getting hit in the head during the giant stride.

wetnorm once bubbled...
No complaints here. Get both! My buddy/son prefers the smaller Surge. I carry the big one. Both are bright, adequate for seeing true colors at depth and for spotting critters in crevices before/or as they see you and hide. The big difference seems to be the battery life, beam width somewhat --but not an issue. Each buddy having one cuts down on sharing, dropping, outages, etc., and serves as safety for obvious reasons at nightime and/or during separation at sea.
...Hint: We secured lights to bottom end of BC with quick-lok and to upper BC SS clip via retractible holder and avoided getting hit in the head during the giant stride.

Thank you so much for the reply. I was looking for some practical advice. :) I will probably go with the Princeton Tech Kit.

Back
Top Bottom