Princeton Tec Torrent (Surge) Vs LED Lenser Frogman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eran_coh

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,
I am looking for a compact light mostly for day diving (caves, canyons, wrecks) and ocasional night dives (I am not doing lots of night dives).
The torch has to work on AA batteries and fit into the BC pocket.

I would like to hear your opinion on these 2 options:

- Princeton torrent (surge) Xenon. It's a 7.5W, 115 Lumens with 5 hr burn time with 8 AAs

- Lenser LED Frogman. They have a new model with 1.5W CREE LED (75 Lumens) and 50 hr burn time with 4 AAs

I love the idea that the LED bulb never has to be replaced. But how bright is it under water?
The max beam distance of the Torrent is amazing (over 150m). But is it realy helpfull for diving?
Does the light stay strong/bright during the entire advertized burn time, or does it degrade immediatelly?

Thanks,
Eran

I think my requirements are very similar to yours.....

Which one did you go for in the end? I quite like the look of the Frogman 2. Looks nice and compact for travelling too.

I'm trying to ascertain if it works equally well with high capacity NiMH rechargable batteries too.

Cheers, Chris

Hi Chris,
I bought the Frogman lenser.
It is amazing!! very bright and very strong.
My budy uses the UK SL4 (xenon) and my Lenser was as bright and strong as the SL4. the lenser the half the size of the SL4 and also much smaller then the Torrent.
you can put it in the BC pocket and never know it is there.

make sure you are buying the new version of the lenser. it has a stronger LED bulb and an on/off switch.
the only problem I have with the lenser is that if I take out the batteries and put the bulb in and screw the head back, it is then almost impossible to take the bulb out again (to put the betteries back). so i store it with the batteries inside.

I did not try it with rechargable batteries

good luck.
Eran

OK great thanks, good tip. I'm planning on using rechargables, so I guess I'll have to struggle with the difficult part, but you have confirmed my choice, so I'm gonna get one. Will give it a test run on a wreck dive in May!

Will definately get the updated Frogman 2 version.........

Thanks, Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom