Prism 2 Predator Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sgl308

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just a quick question about the Shearwater computer that comes with the Prism 2... Am I able to use the computer as a stand-alone computer for OC dives? I know the Shearwaters are available with the Fischer connector for use with rebreathers, but with the one that came with the Prism 2, the connection has that heat shrink over it. Would I be able to remove it and cap the connection?

I will be ordering a PRISM2 next week. I am also planning on ordering, from Shearwater, a Shearwater computer with a Fischer connector, to possibly add another sensor at a later date. I already own 2 SA Shearwaters. Familiarity with the Shearwater computer was one of the deciding factors on the PRISM2.

Hi Steve,

Good question, short answer is NO. The shearwater computer which ships with the Prism 2 is hardwired and specific to the Prism without a fisher or QD connection.

Nick

Nick,

Thanks for the clarification. I have to ask though, why would Hollis do such a thing? Why take a computer that can do pretty much everything (including sending a text to your wife/girlfriend if your deco gets extended from what I hear) and restrict it to strictly monitoring the Prism 2? One of the reasons I went with the Prism 2 is because of that computer included with the breather. I was hoping to be able to use it for OC dives as well, but not anymore.

Don't get me wrong, I don't regret buying the Prism and the set up is pretty sweet. I was just wondering why one would buy a Corvette and only drive it on the go-cart track at the local carnival...

And let me reiterate... I will definitely love diving this rebreather!!

Nick,

Thanks for the clarification. I have to ask though, why would Hollis do such a thing? Why take a computer that can do pretty much everything (including sending a text to your wife/girlfriend if your deco gets extended from what I hear) and restrict it to strictly monitoring the Prism 2? One of the reasons I went with the Prism 2 is because of that computer included with the breather. I was hoping to be able to use it for OC dives as well, but not anymore.

Don't get me wrong, I don't regret buying the Prism and the set up is pretty sweet. I was just wondering why one would buy a Corvette and only drive it on the go-cart track at the local carnival...

The Shearwater on the Prism 2 is not just a monitor; it is also the controller. You do not want the computer that is controlling the solenoid for your rebreather to be fisher connected. Hollis was very wise to hardwire the controller to the head.

Nick,

i wouldnt put much faith into the fisher connector. it wasnt originally designed for that use.

The Shearwater on the Prism 2 is not just a monitor; it is also the controller. You do not want the computer that is controlling the solenoid for your rebreather to be fisher connected. Hollis was very wise to hardwire the controller to the head.

That is a good enough explanation for me. Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom