Private Boat diving - correct "flagging"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

manni-yunk

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have read a lot about the correct use of dive flags on this and other sites. I have also seen a lot of misinformation being published online. I want to post what I do, and why I do it. My diving is 90% private boat diving off the Coast of NJ, DE, and MD. (Mostly NJ as that is the home port). We are anywhere from 4 to 50 miles from shore and sometimes in close proximity to shipping lanes. We are also near vessels engaged in fishing operations (graggers, potters, long liners, etc)

We set up our flags from the outriggers that are not laid down - so they are vertical and roughly 24 feet above the water. We send the ALPHA flag up first. The Alpha flag is more easily recognized by captains of transport vessels - or from NON U.S. fishing and transport boat captains. Really anyone NOT from the US. we have a lot of ship traffic going in and out of the DE bay. Internationel vessels are VERY common on the east coast. The APHA flag is in fact a "vessel engaged in diving operations" and NOT just a "vessel restriced to manuever".

A lot of international captains would not know what a red and white diver down flag is.

BUT - since much of the boat traffic is from our waters - we also fly a red and white DIVER DOWN flag. Immediately below the ALPHA Flag.

I believe, from a dive boat- that this is the correct way to signal you have divers in the water - and correctly communicate to any captain that you have divers in the water.

This does not make up for untrained operators - but we always have a lookout with hailer,VHF radio, and horn capabilities.

Luckily, in NJ- everyone is required to take a basic operators course and Dive flag recognition is covered - so almost everyone that will be operating a boat in the 10 - 30 mile range (where we spend most of our time) knows what we are doing and they stay far enough away.

A dive flag, Alpha or Red & White should be 3' x 5'. The 24" flag that meets FL law is inadequate. We have much better results with approaching vessels steering away, since we switched to the larger flag.

Owning a boat myself, it amazes me the amount of the boating public that doesn't have a clue what a dive flag even is, nevertheless other flags, channel markers, buoys, and the latter. Also basic boating practice such as right of way and no wake zones. It makes me wonder how these people got licenses for boats considering all this is gone over in depth during courses.

Most states have absolutely no requirements for boating licenses or even simple boater education courses. The only requirement is the financial ability to be afford to be running the boat :rolleyes:

There are fine points in the meaning between the Alpha a Diver-down flag. I added the emphasis.

Warning Signals

Two flags are mandated for display in most parts of the United States and Canada when a boat or ship has divers in the water. Considerable confusion exists as to the differences between these two flags, if any, and why a dive boat has to use two separate signals. In fact, the two flags serve quite different purposes.

The 1972 International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea and the United States Inland Navigation Rules provide for an elaborate series of day-shapes and lights to be displayed by large vessels whose maneuverability is restricted by the conduct of underwater operations, such as cable-laying, dredging, or conducting diving operations. Smaller vessels that are not able to hoist the complex signals used by large ships are instead required to display a rigid version of the International Code of Signals flag for the letter "A," known as ALFA, at least one meter high if diving operations restrict their ability to maneuver. Not all boats from which divers are swimming are necessarily so restricted. Generally, only vessels to which the divers are physically connected by communication lines, air hoses, or the like are affected by this requirement. It does not apply to most instances of sport diving, where the divers are swimming free of the vessel. As recent Coast Guard Notices to Mariners emphasize: "The ALFA flag is a navigational signal intended to protect the vessel from collision."

By contrast, the red and white diver-down flag, originally devised in about 1957, is intended to protect divers themselves. This flag is often referred to as unofficial or voluntary because it is not mandated by the international or inland rules of the road. This assertion is erroneous. The use of the diver down flag is required by state law or regulation in virtually every state of the Union, as well as by various Federal agencies exercising jurisdiction over waters where diving takes place (such as the National Park Service) and by the Canadian Occupational Safety and Health Regulation. Typically, the laws or regulations on the use of this flag require divers to display the flag and to remain within a specified distance of it when they are near the surface. This often means the flag is best mounted on a float or buoy near the actual dive point rather than on the boat itself. Restrictions vary from state to state, but typically include a zone around the flag where no other boats are allowed and a second, larger zone in which their speed is limited. A number of states also prohibit the display of the diver-down flag when a diver is not actually in the water.

.My take Under USCG Coast guard rules a Alpha Flag is as stated restricted maneuverability in Federal waters, what are federal waters ??well a distance from shore not covered under your local state regulations,A Alpha flag has been seen and used as a diver down flag,my thoughts are to fly both in state and federal waters, larger than 24"x24" from highest point on vessel,

the thing is all divers are responsible to come up in the radius of protection around vessel flying such flags or if in the case of drift diving pull their own dive flag Red&White under the supervision of a command vessel to over see their divers in the waters safety and command vessel shall fly diver down flags and stay in communication if any vessels would be entering the diving areas.

Most problems occur when divers break state and federal laws of diving in a shipping channel,surface out side of the radius of dive flags and knowingly dive in fishing areas,That said divers drift diving must exhibit extreme caution on safety stops & surface only if its deemed safe too, and have a qualified Capt. aboard the dive vessel making sure of the safety of divers below, my 2 cents!

Back
Top Bottom