Private DM - Anyone hired one?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bobby T

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello All!

My wife and I spent a week at SCC last January. We've already booked the flights for this coming January. As opposed to staying a SCC again or any other hotel/resort, we've been contemplating renting a home/condo and hiring a private DM. Anyone with advice on hiring a DM??? Thanks!

Do you mean a private boat for the two of you or a private DM who takes the two of you on a private dive but you're on an operator's boat with other divers? I'm not clear on what you're looking to do.

I hired one in Bonaire (Bas) to help us get familiar with several shore diving spots and to take us on a uv night dive (he had the uv lights and mask covers) and we had a ball. He showed us lots of cool places we never would have found on our own, and yes I had all the Bonaire books. It was well worth it. Saturday commences my first dive trip to Coz so I can't give you any guidence there. I would imagine that whatever dive op you are with can direct you to one of their own or hook you up with someone that wants the "overtime".

My daughter and I hired a private DM our first trip to Coz, which was 2006 if I recall correctly. We had just gotten our cards, Coz was our first trip, so I thought we both needed the extra personal attention for a dive or two. We went with Allison of Dive with Allison, and were very pleased. It was a really good way to get introduced to the area and we were much more comfortable on the bigger boats for the rest of the week. She's easy to find, just Google her and give her a shout.

I was thinking more along the lines of a private boat with a DM. As newgentry was saying, the extra personal attention as well as maybe getting to some spots you might not get to on the big boats really peaks my interest. It seems as though rental homes/condos are dropping significantly in price. I'm sort of thinking along the lines of using that extra money to upgrade in this fashion.

I was thinking more along the lines of a private boat with a DM. As newgentry was saying, the extra personal attention as well as maybe getting to some spots you might not get to on the big boats really peaks my interest. It seems as though rental homes/condos are dropping significantly in price. I'm sort of thinking along the lines of using that extra money to upgrade in this fashion.

You can hire a private DM through any shop without having to charter the entire boat privately. You'll share the boat, but still do your own profile and have your own personal DM - unless a private boat is what you want.

Keep in mind that if you're chartering the entire boat privately - you'll most likely be charged the rate for at least what four divers would be possibly six depending on the demand of the spots and the availability of extra boats by the shop.

You do realize that if you book with any op, there will be a DM with you? A DM is required in the water within the marine park and if you book on any six-pack, there will be, at most, six divers in total. You will get plenty of attention, I should think.

Just curious, why are you opposed to staying at a hotel or resort? Bad experience at SCC or just an economical choice with good deals being offered?

Specific DM's I'D hire:

1.) Any of the Blue Angel guys, Matt (Mateo), Jose or Jorge.
If your looking to get "off the beaten path", Jorge excels at that.

2.) Anyone from BlueXTSea or anyone Christi would recommend.

3.) Raul Plates at Blottom Time Divers.

You do realize that if you book with any op, there will be a DM with you? A DM is required in the water within the marine park and if you book on any six-pack, there will be, at most, six divers in total. You will get plenty of attention, I should think.

Some dive operators REQUIRE a private DM for newly certified divers and/or those experiencing their first ocean dive; at least for the first day. Bobby seems to have enough dives, but don't know about his wife.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom