Pro/con Suunto Eon Steel & Petrel 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hogge

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have had a Suunto D6 and need to change to a computer with bigger & clearer display as I need Reading glasses

I have been looking into Suunto Eon Steel and Petrel 2

Can anyone give me some feedback on the pro/con of these Products?

Price: Petrel
Customer service: Petrel
Cheap/convenient battery: Petrel
Proven: Petrel
No lock out: Petrel
Bluetooth: Petrel

In the interest of transparency, I own a Petrel but that's not why I like it. I like it for the reasons above.

---------- Post added July 31st, 2015 at 05:49 AM ----------

My eyes too are dying and I have no problem reading my computer.

Can you have a tank pod (tank pressure monitor) for the petrel?

Actually this is not a important Point for me (the tank pressure monitor)

The SeaBear H3 has a "tank pod" coming out.

Petrel: user replaceble battery, easy to use, no lockout, customer service, reliability, great display and supports GF & VPM-B.Suunto:looks great, solid, good display, conservative RGBM and AI

The biggest pro for the Petrel(and con for the Suunto) is that the Petrel can use either Buhlmann GF or VPM, well understood and widely implemented algorithms, as opposed to Suunto's proprietary version of RGBM.

for 1 Suunto Eon Steel, you can have nearly 2 Petrel 2, so you have redundancy

Unless you are looking for a watch size computer or need air integrated, it seems very obvious from borrowing one and seeing them take over the tech diving market almost completely that the Petrel is the bomb.

Buddha pretty much sums it up in terms of features. Air integration seems really cool (to this day i still really want it) But a stand alone pressure guage is so simple, cheap and robust, freeing you up to buy an awesome computer with a much better deco model.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom