Pro ear 2000

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

amc717

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished my OW and experienced pain in my ear (one day after the OW dive). Had an ENT checked it and have been given appropriate medicine. A friend, a diving instructor, suggested that I get a mask with an ear cover (Pro Ear 2000).

Just want to find out what's your take on this matter.

Folks using masks or hoods w/ear cups have varying degrees of success having their "problems" cleared up.
If you're experiencing swimmer's ear, a simple ear rinse should work well for you.
Avoid concoctions with high amounts of alcohol, as these can irritate an already tender ear canal. ("Swim Ear" comes to mind).
There are several recipes for home brew, I use equal parts of vinegar, alcohol, peroxide & distilled water. You may want to omit the peroxide, I use it because I've got a real "wax factory" going on in there.
The recipe also makes for a good sunglasses cleaning solution.:wink:

Here's a thread on different ear rinse recipes: http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14259

I haven't used it, but people seem to love 'em. I thoght they might be "ok" for warm water, but people have cut holes in their hoods and used them in Monterey. One lady I spoke with said she got it as a last resort for equalization problems and came back into the store and raved about it.

I do agree with Bob tho. It sounds like something "in" your ear like an infection or swimmers ear, not so much a presure problem, which these masks are designed for. However if it keeps the water out, then I guess it does the trick. Good luck.

I have been using proear for two years. I would have had to quit diving if it were not for that mask. I say buy one you will like it. Try out scubatoys.com for the best price. good luck

My 2 cents...
I recently purchased a ProEar 2000 for my fiancé, who has problems with equalization on descent. It does what it advertises in the way of keeping the ears dry and improving the ability to equalize. My fiancé had no problems going to 80’, when normally it takes her a while to descend. By creating an extra air space around the ears, equalization becomes easier. I have never dove with it in cold water, but I’ve read that ear infections are more common in the cold water. By keeping the ears dry, the ProEar would definitely better protect a diver from cold water ear infections. It doesn’t come without its disadvantages though. It doesn’t allow the wear of a standard hood, but there is one available. It’s a heavy mask, at least compared to my Mares X-Vision. The field of vision isn’t very good with her particular model, however ProEar2000.com offers a wide-angle version. To get a good seal of the ear cups, you have to get most of your hair out of the way (more of an issue for women.) It can be cumbersome and more difficult to put on then a standard mask. Also, I would say that it might not provide a good fit for every type of face, make sure wherever you purchase one from will except returns. Overall, I would rate this a good mask with a fair comfort rating. Allot of people haven’t been very excepting of it, labeling it a gimmick mask. I assure you it is not a gimmick, and should not be labeled as such especially by people who have never even tried it. Anyways this is just my opinion and of course you should try it and form your own.

Try out scubatoys.com for the best price.

It's 2 bucks cheaper on LeisurePro...:boogie:

Matt

I've been using the Pro Ear 2000 for two years. Almost every dive vacation used to end with an ear infection, no matter how conscientious I was in administering ear drops and equalizing carefully. Since getting the mask, I've been totally infection-free. As far as being cumbersome, yes, there's more "to" the mask, but it takes maybe two seconds longer to don, just the time it takes to adjust the placement of the back and top-of-head straps. I do wish that Oceanic would make the ear cups available on their new "Fisheye" mask which has dramatically improved downward vision.

I made a mistake in my earlier post on this thread. While Leisure Pro is 2 bucks cheaper on the price of the ProEar 2000 deal with ScubaToys.com instead. I recently made a purchase from ScubaToys and I was very impressed with their operation. I dealt with Larry over the phone and he was very helpful. Scubatoys might not be quite as cheap as LP but they are darn close and ScubaToys is an authorized dealer that offers full manufacturer warranty on their merchandise. They were also much friendlier and willing to help me design my own package then LP. I plan on posting a review on my experience with ST in the near future.

Matt

Check out their WebCam it's really cool!

:mdance:

Pro ear is the way to go. I have been using it for the past 2 years and I highly recommend buying one. I alsways been asked how I like the mask or what is it.

After I tell people about it, they want to know where they can buy them. My dive shop that I go to in south florida cannot keep them in stock.

Enjoy and many more diving out there this summer...

I'm planning on buying the pro ear mask, because I have lots of trouble equalizing-even the hold your nose and blow thing doesn't always work. The mask doesn't change the amount of pressure, it only keeps your ears dry, right? So I will still have to equalize the same way I always do, right? Does the fact that it's air pressure rather than water pressure make equalization easier? I just want to make sure because $50 is a lot for a mask. Also, do snorkels work very well with it? It almost looks like the extra stuff on it would get in the way of a snorkel. Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom