Pro ear 2000

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi There,

The one-way valves between the mask and ear cups serve to create equal pressure between mask and ears. This does make equalizing easier but certainly does not eliminate the need for standard equalization measures.
I don't use a snorkel when diving so I can't speak to the ease of hooking one up to the ProEar, but the only real encumberance is the head strap which goes from side to side across the top of your head. I'd think there's still plenty of room along the side straps to hook up your snorkel.
BTW, 50 bucks is no where near top-of-the-line money for a mask these days! I think I paid $75 for my ProEar when I bought it.
Good luck!

I've used my ProEar with a snorkel and it's fine. However, I've never used the head strap, so I can't comment on that. I've never found a need for the head strap.

Michael

I bought a ProEar about a month ago and have done 30 dives on it. I bought it because I was tired of going to the doctor all the time for ear infections. It has always worked rather well for me. The only negative thing I have to say is that the sound of air coming out of the ear cuffs can be extremely loud and annoying.

I sure wish we would start seeing more of them at the local dive sites, I'm tired of getting so many questions.

I have one in my gear box. I use it when my ear drum blows (happened to me three times now) usualy on ascent, but I dive with no problem. I even dont have to equalize presure in my left ear:D .

I sometimes have equalization problems and thought of one of these masks too. However, I realize that you are still equalizing with it, but presume you are not equalizing to the same pressure as outside the mask/muffs and wondered what would happen should a muff be knocked off at 90' While unlikely, could this potentially create a bigger problem?

but in response to your concern about "equalizing to the same pressure..."

Yes, if you're on top of things, the pressure inside your mask (which is air pressure) is equal to the pressure outside your mask (water pressure.)

Otherwise, you get what is called "mask squeeze," which is quite painful, and can lead to black eyes or ruptured blood vessels.

It's not a concern for most divers because to equalize the pressure inside your mask on descent, all you have to do is blow through your nose.

Thanks.

In which case, without trying to sound awkward, I'm kind of lost as the equalization benefit of the Pro Ears, which may well be due to my ignorance on the subject. If the pressure inside the mask and the muffs is the same as the external water pressure, then you are still equalizing to the same external water pressure as you would be without the mask/muffs ?

And again, I've never dove with the Pro Ear. I can't speak as to whether or not it's easier, although several have posted that it is. Personally, it's not the mask for me.

I believe the argument they make is that it is easier to equalize ambient air pressure inside your head (inner ear) with air pressure - whereas when it's a liquid pressing against your ear, it's harder to open your eustachian tubes and equalize.

Rather like flying or driving up a mountain, I suppose - differences in air pressure are often equalized simply through swallowing or chewing gum.

Again, though, I'm not the expert.

diverapril:
I'm planning on buying the pro ear mask, because I have lots of trouble equalizing-even the hold your nose and blow thing doesn't always work. The mask doesn't change the amount of pressure, it only keeps your ears dry, right?

Actually, check out the photos of the mask... there are air tubes that connect the mask to the ear cups, so the ear pressure is also equalized to the mask. Same pressure on both sides of the eardrum. At least, that's the theory... the tubes are on top of the mask, so flooding/clearing shouldn't be a problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom