Pro Plus 2 and Bikini Atoll

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SilverS2k

Registered
Reaction score
Gaithersburg, Maryland/ Godwin, North Carolina
I was reading on the Bikini Atoll page and it has a list of dive computers that you should not use while diving there. One of them was the Oceanic Pro Plus 2, this is the computer that I use and I was wondering if anyone knows why it should not be used there.

Moot point. Bikini Atoll has been closed for dive tourism for some time now. Their website states closure throughout all of 2009.

To answer your question, the Oceanic Pro Plus 2 doesn't have the ability to monitor gas switching during a dive. Most of the dives at Bikini Atoll are deeeeeeep (beyond recreational limits), and the dive op there does staged decompression dive profiles. I suspect that the single gas computers on their "minimum" list utilize liberal deco algorithms.

The fact that your computer is not on the recommended list for Bikini Atoll diving is not a reflection of the quality of your computer. It's just not the right tool for the job.

Enjoy your computer and dive safely.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom