Problem with generic braided hoses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It would be nice, as has been suggested, if manufacturers put a shelf life or expirey date on the hoses from date of manufacture. Can't see it happening though.

Unfortunately, these things are not like tires where the manufacturer can build in wear indicators and estimate a wear-out time (miles/dives). It is just not a product that lends itself to an expiration date. But the mfgr should be able to examine failure modes and design safeguards into their products that present dangerous failure modes and/or provide inspection capabilities that will catch such failures before they become dangerous. Leaks are just not that bad when the alternative is sudden failure to deliver sufficient gas to support life.

I expect we will either see a credible explanation of why this is not a dangerous problem, a reliable inspection process, or a recall.

If that is the case, maybe manufactures should also give out guideline on how to properly inspect this braided hoses. Obviously, looking at the outside proves not working.

I can only think of this:

1. Remove the hose/s and manually blow through them. Notice if effort of blowing is higher than 'usual' (compare against a new hose). Also note if any foreign matter is ejected from the hose on blowing.

I don't think blowing into hoses and going by the feel of it will work. It is very hard to quantify how much flow restriction feels right or feels wrong. Everyone feels differently and every hose, especially different length will feels different as well.

I have read this entire thread and came up with a solution.

216176608.jpg

Got covered, check the avatar.:D

They knew it but also admitted that they don't have any explanation!

They knew it but also admitted that they don't have any explanation!

Yet they seem to be pretty sure they can convince customers that it is not their defect!!! I guess we wait to see how many more failure occur and warn others about the problem.

I suspect it is a defective material that produces a dangerous failure mode.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom