Problem with IP testing gauge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Deniz Doner

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi all,

I received a brandnew IP ( Intermediate Pressure ) testing gauge however the needle was stuck at 60PSI.

I pressurized and depressurized the gauge for couple times to check if the needle backs to its original position but this method didn't work at all.

Has anyone tried to fix a similar problem before? I will take the gauge to calibration service after repairing.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Attachments

• IP GAUGE.JPG
    IP GAUGE.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 63
If it's new, I would contact the seller about a warranty replacement.

Hi Herman,

Thank you very much for your response.

I already sent an e-mail to the seller to report the situation and still waiting for their response.

The problem is sending the unit back to the USA from Turkiye & paying again for customs will cost me another $$$.

Most probabaly a person who is working here at the customs have dropped the unit and the needle has stuck. Do you believe it's possible to repair and use it after calibration or better to order a new one?

I will go to the customs tomorrow to ask if they have dropped it however I am sure about their answer; NO!

This will probably require removing the cover glass and using a needle tool to remove and replace the needle so it points to the proper value.

Mike

Ah, missed you were out of the US. Pretty much any pressure gauge with the proper range would work as a replacement. The dial may not be marked the same but no big deal to me. That may be your least cost option.

This will probably require removing the cover glass and using a needle tool to remove and replace the needle so it points to the proper value.

Mike

Hi Mike

I wish I could have read your message before removing the cover glass. Your Idea sounds better than what I did; I have removed the cover glass carefully and tried to take the needle out from its place but I stopped trying once I realized that it's not possible without proper tool. So I start turning the needle to counter clockwise ( by taking the needle over the stoper pin ) and tried to feel the click sounds. After first click sound I have turned the needle clockwise and the needle stayed at around 30 PSI so I took the needle back to the first click sound position and kept turning it till I feel the second click sound and the needle stayed at zero.
I attached one of my unbalance regulator to full tank and check the IP both at high/low pressure (200 BAR/30 BAR) with my small IP testing gauge and I have noted IP eachtime. I found almost 5 PSI difference (@145 PSI) with the one which I was trying to repair.
I took the gauge to the calibration center and asked them if I can watch calibration.
The real value on both master gauge and my gauge noted and we found 5 PSI difference @ 75 PSI and 8 PSI difference @ 145 PSI. At around 220 PSI there was no difference...
I don't know if the method which I tried is correct or not! Anyway I decided not to use the gauge so I am just trying to understand how to repair and adjust it.
Regards.

Attachments

• IP GAUGE_2.JPG
    IP GAUGE_2.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 55
Ah, missed you were out of the US. Pretty much any pressure gauge with the proper range would work as a replacement. The dial may not be marked the same but no big deal to me. That may be your least cost option.

Hi Herman,

The dealer informed me that the new gauge is on the way for free of charge. They are really very kind and responsible.
Regards.

Usually there is an internal Bourdon tube with a connection to a partial gear that then drives the pinion on the needle, you ratcheded the teeth out of position which could have resulted in the differences you are seeing.

Mike

Usually there is an internal Bourdon tube with a connection to a partial gear that then drives the pinion on the needle, you ratcheded the teeth out of position which could have resulted in the differences you are seeing.

Mike

You are right Mike. Thanks for your input on this matter.

Regards.

I had something similar with mine, I discovered if I twisted the gauge it returned to zero. I did contact the manufacturer before figuring this out, but returning it would cost more that it was worth.

Brendan

Back
Top Bottom