Submersible IP gauge?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sunny_diver

Registered
Reaction score
Do submersible IP gauges exist?

Just for fun, I'd like to measure IP underwater at depth. I'd do this on a reg connected to a stage bottle or maybe even an AL6.

A response by @herman in an earlier post from me made me think that IP could be tested underwater.

I don't think a typical SPG would be very accurate at intermediate pressures around 9-10 bar.

Dude, with an extra hose a plastic bag a Vegemite jar and some gum

The depths are your limit

You can as long as the gauge is not sealed (back working parts in ambient pressure), most are not sealed with SPG's being an exception, it will work . SPG's are sealed and are effected by depth but the difference is not really important, does it really matter if a gauge reading 3000 psig if off by 30-60 psi? Better it be sealed and not damaged by water intrusion.

The issue is there are delicate gears and bearing in most regs that would/should be OK surrounded by water once but will likely corrode and fail, esp if subjected to salt water.
If you would like to do it, get a cheap reg, bore a hole in the back of the case and use it but assume it will not last long. Used in fresh water and you make an effort to get all the water out after the dive, I suspect it will work for a while and if you rinse it WELL inside it may work a few times in salt water but in any case it should be considered expendable.

I'm pretty sure Luis did this a while back, a search for his post may give you the info you would like.

The unknown is how will the gauge perform at altered ambient pressures? If the gauge were sealed, you would be measuring PSIA (Absulute) and that is little more than a depth gauge. Or a depth gauge plumbed into the IP. Most gauges are PSIG (Gauge) that are a delta reading. Since most normal gauges are used in a one atmosphere environment. There is the assumption that a gauge reading a delta pressure will read that delta at any atmospheric pressure. The normal operating atmosphere of a gauge is pretty narrow and not really an issue. Now try and run that gauge in atmospheric pressures many times greater than normal, I have zero expectation that the bourdon will work exactly the same.

If you can get a sealed PSIA gauge, and can reference depth and calculate across the two, you might get something useful. If you can find one that won't implode.

Just use a chromed-brass glycerol-filled gauge.
This still sense ambient prossure, so you read the relarltive pressure (bars above the ambient pressure).
Here my one:

Uhm, a link to Amazon does not appear to work here.
The manufacturer is Thermis.
Photo:
61LIVNVKwyL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_FMwebp_.jpg

He's going to be really disappointed when the guage reads the same reading at depth.

(Assuming you vented the guage properly)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom